Topic: 1947 Ford Deluxe front leaf bushing removal

BenFord47    -- 06-14-2019 @ 6:12 PM
  Hi, my son is trying to replace the leaf spring bushing. Is there a tool to press the old one out? Heating up and pounding on it has not worked well. He has the side with the double side bolt out.

Thanks
Stephen

TomO    -- 06-14-2019 @ 6:15 PM
  When I did mine, I used a hacksaw blade to cut the bushing and then drove it out.

Tom

BenFord47    -- 06-14-2019 @ 6:17 PM
  So put the hack saw blade through the center and put a slice in it? My son was thinking of doing that, using a dremel tool. How did you install the new one?

Thanks
Stephen

kubes40    -- 06-15-2019 @ 5:04 AM
  Installing the new one in the spring is much easier than installing to the perch.
I'd suggest you run a .750" reamer through the hole to make certain there are no burrs, etc.
Then find a socket or steel tube that is about .700" or so to slip over the end of the new pin. Ideally, this "sleeve" will be threaded on the interior so you press not only on the sleeve of your new pin, but on the threaded stud simultaneously.
I would prefer that you utilize a C-clamp to press the new pin in but as this is the spring end, a hammer should suffice.
If you are replacing the perch pins, those MUST be pressed in with the proper tools.
Do NOT be tempted to grind down the outer diameter of the new pin(s). Many folks do this even though it defeats the purpose of replacing the worn out pins.
A .003" - .005" interference fit was designed in to these pins to induce the proper dampening and rebound effect.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

BenFord47    -- 06-15-2019 @ 6:26 AM
  Thanks Mike.

What are the "proper tools" to use to press into the perch? Would a ball joint tool work?

Thanks
Stephen

kubes40    -- 06-15-2019 @ 7:04 AM
  I've heard tales of folks using a ball joint press with of course, an adapter to suit the small pin.
The authentic tool looks akin to a ball joint press but again, smaller - dedicated solely to this project.
The spring end is fairly easy to do w/o a press as the spring is slotted (open) and will give a bit. No such luck with the perches.
If you like, I can photograph and post a photo of the K R Wilson tool and respective adapters.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

BenFord47    -- 06-15-2019 @ 7:26 AM
  A photo of the K R Wilson tool would be great. My son should then be able to make something that'll work.

Thanks
Stephen

trjford8    -- 06-15-2019 @ 11:19 AM
  If you do not care about being strictly stock, you can get the nylon shackle set that installs very easily.

BenFord47    -- 06-15-2019 @ 2:06 PM
  He has purchased the steel shackles, but I can contact joe's antiques and see if he can get nylon ones.

My son's car is mostly original now, but not all parts.

Thanks
Stephen

kubes40    -- 06-15-2019 @ 3:37 PM
  There is a KRW tool on eBay at this very time. You may want to take a look at it. They are fairly rare.
eBay item number:

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

BenFord47    -- 06-15-2019 @ 4:40 PM
  He is going to try the ball joint tool. Not sure he'll be doing another one of these anytime soon so don't want to purchase a unique tool.

I do appreciate the help and knowledge.

Thanks
Stephen

kubes40    -- 06-15-2019 @ 5:54 PM
  Stephan, If your son is only doing the spring ends, it'll go fine without a special tool.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12987