Topic: We Lost Another One

nelsb01    -- 06-13-2019 @ 6:45 PM
  I am conveying the sad news that former National President and multiple time co-chair of 4 Grand National Meets, Charie Gunn has passed away. Charlie was instrumental in converting the Early Ford V-8 Club realignment back in 2006. Charlie was also the lead person who worked to establish the annual presence of the Early Ford V-8 Club during the AACA Fall Meet in Hershey PA. Charlie was a person that you never forgot and he always had a story to tell. Thanks Charlie -- we all appreciate what you have done for the Club.

Bruce Nelson
North Central Director
And co-chair with Charlie for those 4 Grand National Meets

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 6-13-19 @ 6:57 PM

Don Rogers    -- 06-14-2019 @ 5:25 AM
  That is sad news. I had the pleasure to work with Charlie on the V-8 Club's Board. He was dedicated to the success of the Club and worked hard to achieve that. He was a great guy. My condolences to his wife, Darlene.

Don Rogers

Sal    -- 06-14-2019 @ 5:53 AM
  That indeed is sad news, May he rest in peace. I met Charlie at the first meet I ever went to in Connecticut in '95. He was very friendly and encouraging . Over the years when ever I saw him he always greeted me by name. He will be missed by many. Our prayers are with Darlene and his family.

41-42fordadvisor    -- 06-14-2019 @ 7:30 AM
  So sorry to hear about the passing of Charlie Gunn. He was always so friendly and always had a nice smile. After getting to know him over the years, when ever I saw him he always called by my first name. Even though we had not seen each other in a year or more. Charlie and Darlene were such a great couple. He will be greatly missed. Our prayers go out to Darlene and his whole family. Rest in peace good friend. Fred & Marianne Killian

ford38v8    -- 06-14-2019 @ 8:29 AM
  Charlie had a way of making everyone feel better while in his company. He not only knew everyone's name, he drew friends to him wherever he was. I'm proud to have known him, and sad at his loss. My wife Juanita and I offer our deepest condolences to his lovely wife Darlene.

Alan

trjford8    -- 06-15-2019 @ 11:26 AM
  Charlie was a mentor to all of us who served on the V-8 Club Board of Directors. It appears he also volunteered much of his time to his community. A friendly guy who always appeared to be upbeat. It was a pleasure knowing both Charlie and Darlene.

MG    -- 06-15-2019 @ 12:22 PM
  Charles E. Gunn

1934 - 2019 Obituary

Gunn, Charles E.
Charles E. Gunn, age 84, of North Branford, Connecticut, passed away peacefully on June 13, 2019. He was the beloved husband of Darlene (Brisson) Gunn, his wife of 62 years. He was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, on December 29, 1934, to the late Fred & Mildred (Everett) Gunn. He spent his childhood years in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, where he graduated from high school in 1952.
He is survived by his daughters Lisa (James) USN Crudden of Lisbon, CT, Katherine (David) Sullivan of Branford, CT, and Patricia (Curtiss) Wakefield of Guilford, CT. He is also survived by grandsons, Edward (USMC), Martin, and Robert (USMC) Crudden, and Ryan (USMC) and John Sullivan. He was predeceased by his grandson, Jake Wakefield.
Chuck was active in community affairs for over 40 years. He served as a member of the Charter Revision Commission, as Mayor, as Deputy Mayor; Chairman, Zoning Board of Appeals; Chairman, Planning & Zoning. The Town of North Branford designated June 7, 2016, as Charlie Gunn Day.
He graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute with a BS in Electrical Engineering and an MS from Rensellaer Polytechnic Institute while being employed as an instructor. He spent his 36-year career at United Illuminating Company, retiring in 1994.
Chuck loved spending time with family and friends. He was a friend to everyone he met. His first hobbies were photography and wood-working, having built fine furniture and buildings. Other hobbies and interests included traveling with his family and trips to every state in the continental U.S. He was very proud to have driven his '34 Ford to Bend, Oregon, and return with one small mishap. He restored a '46 Ford convertible that received national recognition. He was a member of the Belltown Antique Car Club serving as Treasurer, and the Connecticut Regional Ford V-8 Club serving as President and Treasurer. He was also active as a Board Member and National President of the Ford V-8 Club of America.
Chuck loved music, especially traditional American jazz. He was a Board Member and volunteer for the Greater Connecticut Traditional Jazz Festival. He regularly attended ragtime musical festivals in Sadalia and Columbia, Missouri.
Chuck lived life to the fullest. He enjoyed his family, friends, work, and hobbies. He will be missed by many people.
Chuck spent the last year and a half as a resident of Artis Assisted Living in Branford, Connecticut. We would like to thank all of the care takers, nurses, and everyone involved in his daily activities while residing there.
Family and friends may call at the Keenan Funeral Home, 330 Notch Hill Road, North Branford, on Sunday, June 16th, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Funeral services will be held on Monday at 10 a.m. at the United Methodist Church, 811 East Main Street, Branford. To leave an online condolence, please visit www.keenanfuneralhome.com.
Published in The New Haven Register on June 15, 2019

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12983