Topic: Batteries

jimlamarca    -- 06-13-2019 @ 3:28 PM
  I read on one of a suppliers website (don't remember which one) that there's a combination 12 volt/6 volt battery. 12 volt is used only for starting, after which it automatically cuts to 6 volt. Anyone familiar with this and where to get one?

Also, are there any issues installing an 8 volt battery in place of a 6 volt?

Thanks for your input.

Jim La Marca

carcrazy    -- 06-13-2019 @ 4:09 PM
  Don't know about the 12V/6V battery. Don't use an 8V battery! Your light bulbs and other devices will have a shorter lifespan. Go through your entire electrical system and clean all of the connections including the grounds and you will find that the 6V system is adequate if the system is maintained properly.

jimlamarca    -- 06-13-2019 @ 4:18 PM
  Thanks carcrazy. Good advice. If I learn more about the 12/6 volt batteries, I will post it. I sound intriguing because most of the battery strain is on the start up so it can use a little extra juice, as long as it doesn't hurt anything/

TomO    -- 06-14-2019 @ 6:10 PM
  Check to see that the cables from the battery and to the starter are 6 volt cables. 12 volt cables cannot carry enough current to turn the starter over. Using a 12 volt battery on a 6 volt starter can damage the starter drive gear and the ring gear on the flywheel.

Read my response to the Slow Crank post.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-14-19 @ 6:12 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-16-2019 @ 9:09 AM
  HI
on that 6-12 volt battery,
if you need 12 volts to start your engine , it has serious problems.
is this a race engine 12-1 comp ratio ?
my 2 cents, 37RAGTOPMAN
these batteries are not cheap, if you can find one,
I would advise against using 6- 12 volt battery,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-18-19 @ 11:39 AM

croftonfoxes    -- 06-18-2019 @ 11:35 AM
  I keep a battery tender on my 6V when I am not driving the car. I have never had any problems cranking and/or starting with 6V on my '48. I would tend to agree that if you are having trouble cranking or starting a 6V starter with a 6V battery, there is probably a problem... Sorry....

jimlamarca    -- 06-18-2019 @ 7:54 PM
  Thanks. After hearing several responses, I will probably abandon my quest for a 6v/12v battery and concentrate on making sure all the electric contact points are clean to bare metal.

supereal    -- 06-29-2019 @ 1:38 PM
  If the car cranks slowly even when the battery is well charged, the next place to look is the starter, itself. Worn brushes and/or weak springs will reduce cranking power, and badly worn bushings can allow the armature to drag when the magnetic force is applied. Have a good shop check the current draw to determine if the starter or connecting cables are the cause. Starters draw very high current when engaged, and this is often the reason for hard starting when the ignition is starved, even with a good battery.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12982