Topic: Off Sett Dowell Pins

dandy32    -- 05-27-2019 @ 7:54 AM
  Hi All can anyone tell me where I can get Off Set Dowell Pins for my bell housing Iam .025 out of alinement with the crankshaft. all I can find is 1/2" dia. pins but mine are 3/8" any help would be great Thanks

supereal    -- 05-27-2019 @ 12:32 PM
  It is rare, but does happen now and then. Try loosening the mounting bolts enough to allow the clutch housing assembly to move slightly. Start the engine and work the clutch pedal a few times, then shut off the engine and tighten the bolts. There should be enough play to recenter the clutch disc and allow the installation without offset pins. Unless the clutch or transmission has been replaced, it is hard to understand what caused your problem.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-27-2019 @ 12:34 PM
  hi
what was the year of car and engine ?
hard to tell what you want, alignment pins. ?
cutting down 3/8 bolts won't do making pins
hope this helps
37 RAGTOPMAN

dandy32    -- 05-28-2019 @ 7:57 AM
  Its A 53 8ba when I put A dial indicator on the crank and turn the engine its running about .025 out of true with the bellhousing and i dont want to put uneven pressure on my transmission bearings A set of off set dowels would correct this and add life to my transmission

dandy32    -- 05-28-2019 @ 2:56 PM
  My fix is gonna be mount bellhousing without the dowel pins get it lined up stright and tighten it in place then ream the holes and install the next larger size dowel pins Thanks for the Help

kubes40    -- 05-28-2019 @ 5:20 PM
  Dowel pins are not designed to hold anything is position. They are designed to set something in position.
If you can install the transmission case in proper position and tighten the bolts, you're done.

When you had stated .025" out of alignment, is that total indicator reading?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

dandy32    -- 05-29-2019 @ 2:42 AM
  No my total indacator reading is .053 and yes they are guide pins but if they dont hold the bellhousing right where it goes I dont think I would ever know when iam stright. IMHO Thanks Mike

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-29-2019 @ 10:26 AM
  dandy32
I assume you replaced the clutch or something related to the engine ,transmission, removal and installation
your pilot bearing lines up the engine and trans, and hold everything in Alignment so your trans bearing are ok
if the pilot bearing is worn, you will get a slop in the Input shaft to the transmission,
and more then likely when backing down , the gear shift lever will pop out of gear,
how exactly did you measure the alignment , from bell housing to crankshaft ?
I never heard of off set pins, in a bell housing or back of engine,
hope this helps 37 TAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12939