Topic: Removing bonded brake shoe material

Bob-93021    -- 04-01-2019 @ 11:28 PM
  I want to replace the rear shoes on my 47 Sedan. I have 4 old shoes with bonded lining on them and want to remove the bonded lining so that I can re-shoe them with old new stock riveted lining that I already have. I do know how to rivet on the new lining. Question is how to remove the old lining from the shoe backing plate without warping or damaging the old backing plate.
I have read that heat is used in a BBQ grill, chisels, bandsaw, etc. What temperature is needed? Could a solvent be used? What is cleanest way to remove the bonded lining without damaging the metal brake shoe. Thank you - Bob

40 Coupe    -- 04-02-2019 @ 4:54 AM
  Clean the oil and dirt off the shoes and then heat the metal shoe with the propane torch, the glue that binds the lining will get soft and the lining can be removed in one piece. Do this outdoors due to odor the warmed glue gives off.

Bob-93021    -- 04-02-2019 @ 9:20 PM
  40... Thanks for the tip. I did use a propane torch and heated the backside. Sharpened one of my wide putty knifes with a metal shank to the end and gently tapped to peal off the lining while heating backside. Came off in several pieces. It was actually pretty easy. Thanks - Bob

Drbrown    -- 04-03-2019 @ 9:37 PM
  I gather you were concerned about distorting the metal shoe if over-heated. Have not heard of that happening. Regardless, one should have the new shoes "arched" (fitted) to match the arc/curviture of the brake drum its going to be installed in, so that procedure would likely adjust the shoe accordeingly.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-04-2019 @ 11:37 AM
  Be sure to use a mask in case the old shoes have asbestos in them.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-04-2019 @ 12:38 PM
  hi Bob=93021
C&G has brand new shoes,complete with brake lining for sale, $69.95 part # 21-a 2001 NBD
and have a brand new brake spring set also. now is a good time for these also,
this might be easier way to go, all new, 800 266 0470 for catalog 366 pages
they advertise in the V8 TIMES,
have a Great catalog, and also have a tech line,
my 2 cents 37 RAGTOPMAN

Bob-93021    -- 04-04-2019 @ 8:20 PM
  Guys, thanks for inputs. I was concerned about warping the shoe with heat. I have a decent size vise and was able to clamp the shoe at the back bone part of the shoe. Did not take as much heat as I thought. Since lining was old I just assumed that it had asbestos in it and wore a respirator.
I had already purchased the genuine Ford NOS lining and rivets awhile back thinking they would have the best coefficient of friction compared to new stuff. Now all I need to get are springs, clips etc. I am familiar with C & G and have ordered from them in the past. I still need to find a local shop that can arc these in. Maybe an old NAPA store has the machine? Thanks - Bob

This message was edited by Bob-93021 on 4-4-19 @ 8:21 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12792