Topic: Radial versus Bias

rayfry    -- 03-01-2019 @ 7:09 AM
  I need new tires on my 1949 Ford Custom. Right now I have Bias Ply tires with 3 inch whitewalls. I want the whitewalls but in a radial they are so expensive. Is there that big a difference in the ride between radial and bias. This is not a show car just a nice driver for weekends and sunny days.

Big Red 51    -- 03-01-2019 @ 7:21 AM
  Ray, Radials do greatly improve handling especially at speeds on the interstate. As you know, bias tires walk around especially in ruts in the pavement. I have used radials on my '51 F-1, 1953 and 1954 sedans all of which on the interstate going to meets and etc. I have seen bias tires on interstate highways with macadam ruts in truck lanes litterly cause a car to jump into the adjoining lane, not a good feeling when you have 18 wheelers on either side of you. For your stated needs, I think bias tires would be fine. Don

JT Ford    -- 03-01-2019 @ 7:51 AM
  Put radials on it.

TomO    -- 03-01-2019 @ 8:17 AM
  If your front suspension and steering components are in good condition and aligned correctly, you should have no trouble handling the car on any road. I have been driving my 40 Mercury with Bias ply tires on all kinds of roads for over 40 years and have not experienced the problem that Big Red 51 describes. I did have that problem with my 53 Lincoln before I had the front end aligned.

I have ridden in my friend's 39 Ford with both bias ply and radial tires and did not notice much of a change in ride quality. He said that he noticed a big improvement when he first put them on, but his bias ply tires were 25 years or more old. I noticed a big improvement when I changed my 15 year old tires to new bias ply tires.

You should read the article that I posted a link to in the Mercury discussion on hub caps, before you buy the tires.

Tom

51woodie    -- 03-01-2019 @ 12:39 PM
  I have 6:00-16 WWW tube type bias on my '46 Super Deluxe. I read all the comments prior to making the choice, and I find the car runs reasonably straight at all speeds, given the technology to the steering/suspension. All components are in good condition, with no free play. I did the toe in adjustment myself, then decided to take it to the local Ford dealer to have it checked. Caster and camber were within specs., but I was off a bit on the toe in, which the technician adjusted. The car drove noticeably better on the drive home (60 MPH). Sometimes a bit can mean a lot.

village grande    -- 03-01-2019 @ 5:21 PM
  After driving my stock 51 ford victoria for 3 years with a good front end and Bias tires I was convinced be friends to invest $220 dollars apiece for wide white radial tires. The difference to me was immediate and amazing. The car driving experience was noticeably better, the car held the road straighter especially when the road surface was uneven or rutted. I felt safer and more relaxed driving, I should have done it sooner.

LarryK    -- 03-02-2019 @ 4:15 AM
  Some have cautioned against installing radial tires on rims designed for bias ply tires, claiming added stresses that could lead to rim failure.

Larry

BUCKAWHO    -- 03-02-2019 @ 4:46 AM
  Hi Ray....My '51 Coupe had radial tires when I purchased it two years ago. The steering box needed some adjustment, and I purchased four new wheels for the car. I transferred the radials to the new wheels, and the car drives with no problems now. The tires have narrow whitewalls, but I'll fix that when the tires need to be replaced. My recommendation is for new radials for your car. BT
P.S. ...At 80 years old, I stay off the interstates, and travel the back roads. Slower speeds and more to see.

kubes40    -- 03-02-2019 @ 6:10 AM
  I only do "high end" restorations so have never installed radials on any of my projects.
However, I have repaired a number of client's vehicles wherein they have installed radials.
Typical issues are wheel tromping. Caused by worn front chassis parts, worn shocks, worn spring, worn steering gear, etc.
While these old Fords may tolerate radial tires, they were not designed for them. Thus, the front chassis must be in really good condition.
Subsequently, if your chassis is in good condition, why the need for radials?
Plus, at least in my opinion, they look like poopy.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1934 Ford    -- 03-02-2019 @ 6:39 AM
  On my antique Ford V8 cars I have continued to use bias ply tires. On my old VW (66)
I switched to radials years ago because it changed the ride from Antique Car to Sports Car.
My 35 Buick Resto Mod got radials from the beginning, due to the modern suspension.
Back to the Ford V8's, I'm a 1934 Ford V8 guy. I get about 10 years on a set of bias ply Coker WWW tires (We do lots of touring) In 2013 we visited Coker Tires Museum in Chatanooga
and bought another set of 5 bias tires. I was happy with them but not their tubes ( I use Radial Tubes). I was happy until a buddy bought a real nice 1936 Ford Tudor with radial tires.
Wow what a great ride and much easier to handle on our crooked mountain roads, drove like a modern car. I plan on a new set of radials in 2023. (If i can wait that long)

1934 Ford's since 1972

MG    -- 03-02-2019 @ 12:11 PM
  I see that Coker has come out with 17 inch radial tires to fit the wire wheels on my '34. I was so pleased with the improved performance of the 16 inch radials I put on my '37 and the 15 inch radials on my '53, I'm going to purchase a set for my '34. I found that steering and ride were very noticeably improved over the bias ply tires I once had on the '37 and the '53....

See > https://www.cokertire.com/550r17-excelsior-stahl-sport-radial.html

carcrazy    -- 03-02-2019 @ 3:52 PM
  Radial tires are definitely the way to go. If you don't have to have whitewalls, go with modern radials which will give much better service, performance, cost much less, and provide more mileage than the "show car tires" will. I have used Goodyear Assurance All-Season 205/75R15 Blackwall Radials on my 1953 Ford with great results. These tubeless radials have given no trouble in over 10K miles of driving over all kinds of roads and at highway speeds. My previous experience with expensive "show car whitewall radial tires" with inner tubes on a 1940 Ford was not so good.

wmsteed    -- 03-03-2019 @ 9:37 AM
  I have been using radial tires on just about vehicle I have owned since the late 1960's. The list includes '59-79 Ford F pickups, '56-'57 T-Birds, various street rods, GM C-10/30 pickups, large trucks, RV's and every day cars.
Of course it is a given that the suspension has to be in good shape and the alignment has to be adjusted from bias spec's. One thing that most people overlook is tire inflation, radials don't like low pressure. I don't pay much attention to the vehicle manufactures basis tire inflation recommendations, I follow the tire manufactures recommendations that is based on load, speed, etc.. a rule of thumb to follow is; if the front tires show signs of wear on the shoulders, the tire is under inflated.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

bigvince    -- 03-12-2019 @ 4:44 PM
  I have a 48 Woodie with 16 inch wheels - stock 4.5 inch width. I have an extra set of K-H 16 x 4.5 wheels and have read way too much on this subject with no definitive answer. It looks like Hancook makes a 16x 195 x 75 radial. The tire store assure me that after looking at the wheel, there should be no problem.

Recommendations any on a stock front end and stock wheels anyone???

TomO    -- 03-12-2019 @ 7:34 PM
  Big Vince, read this article, it explains the different stresses on the wheel.

https://www.sema.org/files/attachments/wtc-2011-05-bias-vs-radial-tire-wheel-fitment.pdf

Tom

JT Ford    -- 03-13-2019 @ 7:22 AM
  Be sure that black insulated wire under the dist. plate isn't bare someplace. After 65 years some are bad! When the plate moves it can short out and the car will stop.

Got on the wrong post, sorry!

This message was edited by JT Ford on 3-13-19 @ 7:25 AM

Club Cpe 50    -- 03-23-2019 @ 6:07 AM
  I spent a lot on king pins-trunions-bushings-spindles-etc. My 50 coupe was beautifully painted by an earlier restorer but the mechanicals weren't the best. It had nice bias ply reproduction tires on it. I bought 5 Coker radials-tires made in the original 6.70 by 15 tire molds. The word "radial tire"is embossed small- about the same size as this type font. How/why any judge could detract points for these tires being radial is beyond me. Radials really help the car on bad road surfaces. The car is aligned a bit differently- more caster and slight negative camber-which helps directional stability. I had a set of aftermarket trim rings that overlapped the Ford hubcaps-giving the look of a full wheel cover. These would not stay on the front wheels due to rim flexing- I switched to the stock trim rings and all is well

bigvince    -- 05-06-2019 @ 1:35 PM
  I use bias belted tires on 16 x 4.5 inch wheels on my 48 woodie. There is plenty of wandering particularly when an 18 wheeler blows by me. Some say yes to radials but use inner tubes. Some say no due to "rim stress". I had the guy at the tire store say no problem with radials on stock rims. I have five rims sitting in my garage where you can still read the "FORD" and "K-H" stamping clearly. A ton of discussion on this and never a firm answer. I have priced tires out but radials at one particular antique tire outlet are $240 a piece. That's Pirelli territory. I also have seen some 16R75 x 195 for about four hundred a set. Some say use the radials that come on an electric vehicle. What's the answer???

sarahcecelia    -- 05-06-2019 @ 2:24 PM
  Radials put ADDITIONAL stress on the outer edges, on both sides of the rims, and the original rims will crack from that stress. When your tires need a little air all the time, that's a sign that the rims are developing small cracks in them! Bias ply tires radiate the stress to each side of the rim, radially-So the force is half and half, whereas radials put all of the force, 100%, directly on on the edges of the rims.If you change to radials with original rims, it could be disastrous! Cars with radial tires have SPECIAL RIMS that are built for that extra stress. Do the research, you'll find that i'm right!There is a great possibility of a rim coming apart while your doing 50 or so miles an hour, and you lose control, and wreck!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 05-06-2019 @ 2:35 PM
  Those rims were not made for the additional stresses of radials! They WILL CRACK- Modern cars with radial tires, have rims built for that stress. When you have to always add a little air to your tire(s), that will tell you they have small cracks starting in them; next they will come apart, and you will wreck your pride and joy! Do the RESEARCH!!

Regards, Steve Lee

len47merc    -- 05-06-2019 @ 7:09 PM
  My good friends and completely trusted (senior) colleagues TomO and kubes40 have accurately, fully and completely answered this question. After previously following their same advice and completely restoring a '47's running gear and suspension to as new conditions I never experienced the problems described with bias plys over thousands of touring miles. The car was a pleasure to drive with 3 1/4" www on 7.00 x 15s. Never looked back, never had a problem AT FORD'S RECOMMENDED 26 psi rating (for the Mercury).

Have personally seen two (so far) original EFV8 rims that cracked - catastrophically - with radials installed. My mind was already made up from experience, these visuals simply sealed the deal.

If you want a custom car, build it to be custom with all the necessities to ensure it is safe for the features you wish to add (like radials). Don't piece-meal it and expect it to work like a modern car would with 70-90 year old technology as the foundation.

As for me and my house, well, drive it like it was meant to be driven, like it was meant to perform, before you decide you have the knowledge, experience and expertise to improve upon it. In most - dare I say all - cases you will find Ford knew what the h*ll they were doing.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-6-19 @ 7:09 PM

joe b    -- 05-07-2019 @ 6:51 AM
  I had radials installed on my '41 coupe and am very happy with them. The car rides and handles much better. It does not wander all over like it used to. I used my stock rims with tubes and no problems there.

TomO    -- 05-07-2019 @ 6:58 AM
  Big Vince, did you click on the link that I posted that describes the different way that radial tires stress the rim? Read the article and then make up your mind.

Your Woodie is a big sail when a crosswind comes along. The big 18 wheelers move my wife's 2013 Equinox when they blast by at highway speeds. The Equinox has a much more sophisticated suspension and steering gear than your Woodie, but it too is a big sail. Radial tires will not eliminate the sail effect.

I drive my 40 Mercury on all kinds of roads and do not find that it wanders or has bump steer. My 53 Lincoln did have that problem, but after I had the front end aligned it tracks very nicely. Both cars are affected by a passing big truck or a strong cross wind.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-7-19 @ 6:59 AM

therunwaybehind    -- 05-09-2019 @ 9:41 AM
  As you are worrying about stress also look at the as new thickness of the steel in the rim of old and new. The old is thick the new is high strength and thin expected to be stronger because it is "high strength steel." Unless---the stamping press thins the place where the rim shape rolls into the bead side. Then you might see a feather of bead edge that has cracked off and exposed the side of the rubber bead. Hopefully after so many years and miles this kind of product defect has been weeded out or never existed in these old Fords. I saw it on my friend's 1968 Chevrolet C-10 and immediately looked at the much thicker 1955 passenger rims on my 1948 Ford after I converted to 4-1/2 inch bolt circle. Look at the metal on your wife's rims.

47Monarch    -- 06-17-2019 @ 12:13 PM
  I got my 47 monarch almost a year ago it had bias ply tires I put maybe 200 miles on the car then got www radials noticed the difference driving across the tire shop parking lot . The difference in price between white wall and black wall is a lot but changing to radials is unbelievable

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12716