Topic: type of Gas to use

gfstew    -- 02-24-2019 @ 7:17 PM
  For all you Members who have flat Head for V8 Engine in your car. What is a good brand of gasoline to use in my Flat Head Ford V 8 Engine ?? I live in Nevada and in the summer it gets hot here ,I have been talking to some Guys about what type of gas to put in are cars, I have been told to put Union 76 91 octane rating and add Amsoil P.I. Performance improve Gas additive any suggestion ??

ford38v8    -- 02-25-2019 @ 12:09 AM
  Union 76 is as good as any other major brand, and is usually cheaper . 89 octane is all you need and want in a flathead. Additives are generally considered to protect and stabilize the fuel for long term storage, and as a rust inhibitor, as the ethanol products do absorb water, in which oxygen is the enemy. I have no idea what kind of product "Amsoil Performance Improve" is, but the name itself suggests no more than the usual snake oil.

Alan

ken ct.    -- 02-25-2019 @ 5:47 AM
  I use the cheapest reg. 87 or 89 reg gas I can find .All ct. sells is 10% alchol. Add some Seafom to the tank in the winter mths. and a little MMO to the gas ocationally. Runs fine. No need for hi-octane gas. OMO ken ct.

Drbrown    -- 02-25-2019 @ 7:14 AM
  Your in a hot climate and ethanol gas becomes more of a problem re vapor lock so non-ethanol the better choice. I don't buy non-ethanol here in NY State cause don't need the higher octane and the prices are out-of-sight.

Being in the northeast I use reg 87 oct/ 10% ethanol; no vapor lock problem cause I have a noisy 6-blade fan that moves a lot air thru the engine compartment, and I had my fuel pump and carb rebuilt to resist ethanol. I too add MMO to gas to avoid sticking valve sleeves.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 2-25-19 @ 7:17 AM

TomO    -- 02-25-2019 @ 7:58 AM
  here is what the manufacturers say about their additives

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/gasoline/p-i-performance-improver-gasoline-additive/

https://seafoamsales.com/product/sea-foam-motor-treatment-oil-fuel-additive/

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/products/

I have used MMO to free and prevent sticky valves and used Seafoam to clean cabon deposits and stabilize the alcohol fuel. It also has helped to prevent sticky valves in my Lincoln. I use regular 10% ethanol in my Mercury and add MMO a couple of times a year.

In the hot temps of the southwest, Seafoam might be a good idea to help stabilize the fuel.

Tom

gfstew    -- 02-25-2019 @ 9:29 AM
  OK what is MMO

trjford8    -- 02-25-2019 @ 9:32 AM
  Marvel Mystery Oil and can be purchased at almost any auto parts store.

Drbrown    -- 02-25-2019 @ 9:30 PM
  I remember MMO back in the 50's but never used it. However, when I got my '47 half dozen years ago it came with noisy valves. Seeing its positive reputation on the flathead forums I tried it and it it worked fine .... continue to do so.

supereal    -- 02-28-2019 @ 12:38 PM
  We use the non-ethanol premium gas. It is more expensive than gasohol, but will avoid "phase separation" that happens when the fuel is stored. This allows the fuel to separate into layers, making the often water laced alcohol accumulate where it can enter the system. Here, in the midwest where temperatures vary greatly, the extra cost is worth it. As to Marvel Mystery Oil, unless properly used, sparkplug problems can arise. To me, the "mystery" is why it is still produced.

MGG    -- 02-28-2019 @ 1:49 PM
  I used Marvel Mystery Oil to free-up sticking valves in three engines, 2 v-8s and a Case tractor. The engines had not run for 25-30 years. I am a believer.

51f1    -- 03-15-2019 @ 2:09 PM
  Had a WW ll Navy surplus Kohler generator with a stickey valve back in the '60s. MMO fixed it.

Richard

JayChicago    -- 03-15-2019 @ 9:58 PM
  My '40 came to me with an intermittent miss which turned out to be a sticky valve. For a year and a half, as I was able to resolve the car's other problems, that miss persisted. I had put MMO in the oil as recommended, but it made no difference. Which was as I expected; I am skeptical of "snake oil" fixes. But then one day I added MMO to the gasoline. The sticky valve miss disappeared immediately, within just five miles of driving! Now I am a born-again believer. I guess there are a few problems that can be fixed (or prevented) with the right chemical treatment.

mrtexas    -- 03-16-2019 @ 10:44 AM
  Gasoline is a commodity. Don't believe the commercials. Premium is a waste of money for a flathead. I'd go with non ethanol if you can find it.
I worked at an XOM refinery for 32 years as a chemical engineer.

This message was edited by mrtexas on 3-16-19 @ 10:45 AM

mrtexas    -- 03-16-2019 @ 10:47 AM
  Hot climate gas is different than cold climate gas whether it has ethanol or not.
In Alaska you need plenty of butane in the gas so it vaporizes in your
intake manifold.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12705