Topic: 34 Ford Cabriolet Rumble Seat Step Pad & Brace

dougmock    -- 02-16-2019 @ 2:47 PM
  I own a 1934 Ford Cabriolet rumble seat car. At one time, someone has replaced the passenger rear fender where the rumble seat step is mounted and didn't replace it. I need a fender support brace and a new step pad. In phone calls with early Ford parts houses that these parts have not been reproduced, but they do sell a brake pedal pad or taillight stand pad and the parts houses tell me these will work. Do you know if this work for what I need? I need someone who has had a Cabriolet to tell me what the car originally had and if you know of a source to find them. Could be the original brace or a reproduction on step and support brace. I don't know what they look like and don't want to drill a hole in the fender until I have the correct parts. Any help would be appreciated. If you know of a source part numbers would also be helpful.

coup    -- 02-16-2019 @ 6:45 PM
  Sir. go on e-bay
looks good to me

40 Coupe    -- 02-17-2019 @ 7:53 AM
  You may want to post for dimensions as to where to drill the hole and any additional hardware needed for attachment of the step.

3w2    -- 02-17-2019 @ 8:08 AM
  Assuming that you already have the correct tail lamp bracket (40-13471-B) where the small B-2454 pad is attached and all you are seeking is the second, larger pad mounted on top of the crown of the rear fender, then what you need is part number of B-41563, a carryover part from the 1932 models. The ebay item cited above is a reproduction of that pad. There was no reinforcing brace underneath the fender used in conjunction with the large pad.

An under-fender reinforcement brace (40-13468) was used for the tail lamp bracket with the small step pad attached.

dougmock    -- 02-17-2019 @ 11:26 AM
  According to the response to the request for information on my 1934 Cabriolet Rear fender step pad and support brace: Seems that what I need are some measurements for the location of the hole I need to drill in my rear fender. I didn't know that it was strong enough not to need a support under the fender. Guess that's why no one listed one for sale. Any help on measurements to locate the place to drill the hole would be very much appreciated.

flatheadfan    -- 02-22-2019 @ 10:09 AM
  I have a '35 coupe and a '36 Cabriolet with rumble seats. If you use a straight edge from the center of the '35 hub cap up to the crown of the '35 fender you have the location of the pad hole on the '35 (note picture). On my '36 Cabriolet the pad hole is rearward 2.5" from the '35 hole placement (using a straight edge again). It looks like a somewhat odd location on the '36 but it does ease getting into the rumble seat. In both cases, there are no reinforcement panels or arms under the fender that are supporting the step pad.

No doubt there are probably some factory directions for locating the pad hole from fender bolts.

Hope this helps.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12684