Topic: Help on Doing a Search

51woodie    -- 02-14-2019 @ 8:27 AM
  When I do a search for a certain topic, I get several discussions listed. My problem is, that once I open one to look at the content, I can't get back to look at the others in the listing. If I click on next, I go back to the Forum. If I select the back arrow, I get "cant' find web page". What am I doing wrong, or is this just the way the search function works? Also, why is there no expansion of the topic when you hover over the title?

TomO    -- 02-15-2019 @ 7:43 AM
  I have that problem is with the back arrow when using Mozilla Firefox, it doesn't happen when I use Edge as a browser. Firefox made some changes in their latest updates that cause this problem.

The next button and the hover problem are the way that the Search function works.

Hopefully we will get an update to this Forum someday soon, that will eliminate some of its clumsy features.

Tom

51woodie    -- 02-20-2019 @ 3:52 PM
  Thank you Tom. So I guess for now, I have to keep re-entering the topic until I get the info I need.

trjford8    -- 02-21-2019 @ 8:10 AM
  A classic example of problems with this website is the latest posting by a person wanting information on '41 convertible screw jacks. It posted his question 3 times. I know exactly what he did to cause the problem. He clicked back to the main page with three clicks and it posted it posted his question 3 times. Very frustrating for people posting questions and answering questions.

ford38v8    -- 02-21-2019 @ 2:43 PM
  A high quality, user friendly website would be a worthy investment that would likely translate into increased Club membership.
It is time the website come into its own and stops being the poor stepsister of the V8 Times.

Alan

TomO    -- 02-22-2019 @ 6:47 AM
  I agree with you Alan.

I like AACA Forum software the best of the sites that I contribute on. This site and the Fordbarn both need to make their sites better.

Tom

trjford8    -- 02-22-2019 @ 8:13 AM
  A website that is more user friendly would most likely increase participation on this site.

trjford8    -- 02-22-2019 @ 8:13 AM
  A website that is more user friendly would most likely increase participation on this site. There are also issues with purchasing items from this site and shipping prices on those items. I would hope these issues will be addressed at the next face to face board meeting.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-22-19 @ 8:20 AM

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 02-22-2019 @ 6:27 PM
  Well..............
Anyone know about software coding? Old is old. And some old can not be adapted to new coding no matter how much $$$$ you throw at it.
You can have a choice --- new updated web site and not be able to reference past postings, or...........stay the way it is (but fix the multiple photo issue and repeat entry) and enjoy.
As a former programmer of IBM code --- let me tell you, you don't want to start over. There is too much information that will be lost. That is just the way it is.
How many were able to move ALL their files from Windows XP to Windows 10? Or, how many have information on the 3 1/2 floppy disks and find that it is now un-readable with today's software?
As for the online store -- the shipping rates are now in line --- purchaser's may not be reading the product information and applying the proper shipping rate.

Web Administrator

ford38v8    -- 02-22-2019 @ 7:17 PM
  Bruce, I vote for a brand new upgraded website.
Leave the old site operative for a while with a link to the new site.
Others have done it, why can't we? The Club and the Membership deserves better.
Members will have to create new usernames for the new website, and understandably, we'll lose some users, but the gain will be tremendous!
PS: Think of the new V8 Club Memberships!

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 2-22-19 @ 7:21 PM

trjford8    -- 02-23-2019 @ 7:42 AM
  I would hope there will be a serious discussion at the National Board meeting next week regarding this site. I know little about the mechanics of a website, but I do know what is user friendly and what is not. I find myself coming to this site less and less because of the double posting of questions and answers. It's embarrassing to the user. I'll stop with my comments right here, but there needs to be some solutions to these problems.

TomO    -- 02-23-2019 @ 8:54 AM
  The AACA managed to update their website a few years ago and kept the history. You don't need to keep all of the history, most of the information is repeated as new questions are answered.

It would be nice if the National Board would appoint a committee to look at all of the automobile related web sites and find out what features are good and what features are not so good. The committee should also look at commercial Forum software or buying Forum software from another car club and modifying it to fit our needs.

My code writing experience was mostly in machine language and that was obsolete before some of your were born.

Tom

MG    -- 02-23-2019 @ 1:02 PM
  This forum is so sterile, so bland, so boring, I suspect that most people who visit here do so only when there is a lull in posts on the FordBarn.com forum (which is seldom). FordBarn.com is my first choice to get advice or to search for answers about our Flathead cars and trucks - this, given its many user-friendly attributes. The FordBarn forum seems to draw the expertise of many more extremely knowledgeable people than does this forum. The EFV8.org forum just doesn't seem to have the gusto or the enthusiasm which is found in abundance on the FordBarn.com forum. Given the excellence of its V8 Times magazine, there is absolutely no reason for the EFV8 Club to have such a mediocre website/forum. Too bad Jerry Windle isn't a software engineer....

SNORE......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

JayChicago    -- 02-26-2019 @ 11:35 PM
  Wow. Pretty snarky post there, MG. If you think it so boring here, why do you keep coming back?

I Have the directly opposite opinion as you. I find Ford Barn to be more like typical social media, with a flood of postings by everyone wanting to put in their two-cents. Maybe one out five of the posters has good analytical skills and gives a helpful answer. The rest are just taking guesses based on something remotely similar that happened with their car one day in the past. We have some of that here too, but I think much less than Ford Barn.

To each his own. I think the V8 Club forum is much superior. There is less activity here, but also less chit-chat and chatter. I don't find that boring, I find that refreshing.

MG    -- 02-27-2019 @ 10:24 AM
  JayChicago - I come back here just to read your postings....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ?

CharlieStephens    -- 02-27-2019 @ 11:11 AM
  If you are going to keep some history, keep it all. No major complaints on the site and the minor ones should be fixable. Building a new site from scratch should be expensive, aren't there any "canned" sites available?

Charlie Stephens

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 02-27-2019 @ 9:11 PM
  I want to thank everyone for their responses.
Tomorrow I will be meeting face to face with the web hosting company.
From the National Board Meeting, I have been given the go ahead to research creating a new V-8 Forum format.
I have to agree that the history on this site is important, while it may not be the easiest to use.
I also have to agree with JayChicago's assessment.

In the mean time, the first goals will be to solve the double postings (thanks to triford8 for his insight), and also the lack of multiple Forum picture postings.

I will keep you informed.

Web Administrator

trjford8    -- 02-28-2019 @ 8:20 AM
  Bruce, thank you very much. We are all trying to make the site better. I consider myself a novice user, so my comments come from that perspective. We all hope your meeting goes well and thanks for bringing the issues to the national Board.

TomO    -- 03-01-2019 @ 8:49 AM
  Bruce, I would like to add my thanks to Tom's. You have done a good job of keeping this site free from scammers and keeping the users friendly and civil with each other.

Making the Forum easier to use and more user friendly will help the people who come here looking for advice to get what they need and keep their cars fun to use.

I hope that you will be able to come up with a good solution to the multiple posts, the limit on one photo per post and make the search more user friendly. The search function on this site returns fewer irrelevant topic than the Ford Barn search, but you should be able to scroll through the results by clicking on next or go back to the index page by clicking on a "back to search results" tab or box.

Thank you for your efforts in getting a better Forum.

Tom

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 03-01-2019 @ 9:17 PM
  Thanks for the kind words. I really do enjoy serving as web administrator.
I appreciate everyone's comments, and those comments about what needs to be corrected and changed were discussed when I met with the web hosting company.
Because of the comments, the web hosting company has a full list of things to address.

I will keep you informed. Thanks again for your support.

Web Administrator

trjford8    -- 03-02-2019 @ 7:53 AM
  Bruce, thank you for the follow-up.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12678