Topic: timing degrees

4ford    -- 12-16-2018 @ 4:55 PM
  h*llo all,
the question I have is timing on a Flathead? I have a 1941 v8 Mallory distributor, fresh motor, isky Max-1 cam motor is 60 over so what would the timing be i do have TDC marked on the crank any ideas???

thanks mike

TomO    -- 12-17-2018 @ 6:58 AM
  The opening of the points determines the timing. You must use a timing fixture or procedure from the Mallory company to time your distributor.

There is no timing mark on the crankshaft pulley. The 1941 distributor can only be mounted one way and the initial timing is fixed.

Tom

4ford    -- 12-17-2018 @ 9:35 AM
  just got the TDC on the pulley and a timing marker from drake and the distributor can move it an electronic distributor

TomO    -- 12-18-2018 @ 7:48 AM
  The initial timing on a stock 1941 Ford is 4 degrees BTC. That should be a good place to set your timing. If it is hard starting, you could retard it to 3 degrees BTC but I would not vary more than that.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 12-18-2018 @ 8:52 AM
  This is what happends when you install NON-FORD parts. OMO. ken ct. What do we know about them. Ask on the FB hamb.

dandy32    -- 12-18-2018 @ 10:51 AM
  Ken not everybody has as much money as you and we have to work with what we find. maybe you should start your own site and all the stuck up nose in the air people could go with you. we are just trying keep our old Fords running and dont need ATTITUDE. I thought this was the early Ford V8 Club not MUST BE ALL STOCK NOTHING ELSE FORD V8 CLUB

4ford    -- 12-23-2018 @ 5:49 AM
  nice.....:) and thank you tom for the information

TomO    -- 12-23-2018 @ 9:12 AM
  dandy32, a stock 41 distributor costs less than a Mallory, so cost is not the reason to keep a car as close to stock as possible. 4ford wants to drive a modified Ford and is willing to put up with all of the problems associated with it.

Most of us on this Forum keep our cars stock, so we may not have good answers for non-stock components. The HAMB Forum has more people with modified cars and asking a question there about non-stock parts may get a better answer than here. Bubba on the Ford Barn has lots of experience with non-stock ignition systems and could probably do a better job of answering 4ford's question than I could.

I keep my car stock because I believe that it makes it more reliable and I know that it makes it easier to trouble shoot. Over the last 60 years I have had stock, mildly modified and radically modified cars and now I prefer stock. The Early Ford V-8 Club of America, the host of this site, is dedicated to restoring and preserving 1932-1953 vehicles to the way that they left the factory.

I don't believe that my nose is stuck up in the air and I believe that my attitude is just right for this Forum.

Tom

dandy32    -- 12-24-2018 @ 12:08 PM
  All Iam saying is if I saw someone broke down along the road even if his car was not stock I would try to help him not just drive by yelling out the window I only work or give advice on Stock Fords Only Merry Christmas

silverchief    -- 12-24-2018 @ 1:22 PM
  Tom.

Sharing your experience and wealth of information with members of this club has saved us untold headaches and educated many of us on the correct way to solve the numerous problems associated with owning an old Ford.

I routinely print out and file your threads for those very reasons.

I owe you buddy .....and am sure many other members feel the same.

Keep up the good work.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12537