Topic: Flat Head engine numbers help

marcmears    -- 12-14-2018 @ 3:30 AM
  Dear All

I have managed to clean up and get at the engine numbers of my flat head but having difficulty in knowing what the actual number of the engine is!
I posted a year ago some pictures of the engine and it seems I have a 21 stud 37 or 38 engine.
I have looked for the engine casting number on the bell housing and can only see a slight number, and I can’t find any references as it looks to me the number starts…. 22 something…
And then the numbers on the block on either side are a minefield of different numbers….
Can anyone help me… please….?

marcmears    -- 12-14-2018 @ 3:32 AM
  more pics

marcmears    -- 12-14-2018 @ 3:32 AM
  more pics

marcmears    -- 12-14-2018 @ 3:33 AM
  ever more pics

marcmears    -- 12-14-2018 @ 3:34 AM
  and the last pic

40 Coupe    -- 12-14-2018 @ 5:26 AM
  The stamped numbers on the engine block were not placed there by the Ford factory. In some states when an engine was replaced the replacement engine had to be stamped by the installer with the vehicles serial number. It appears your engine has seen a couple of different vehicles and the numbers were canceled. These canceled numbers in no way tell you what year your engine is.
I suggest you look through the V8 club 37 or 38-39 Ford restoration book.

carcrazy    -- 12-14-2018 @ 6:44 AM
  The only number that counts is the one that is stamped on the top of the transmission by the engine bellhousing mounting surface. Do you have the vehicle that this engine was originally mounted in? If so, that same number should appear on the frame in three different places.

ken ct.    -- 12-14-2018 @ 9:12 AM
  There are NO serial numbers on flat head engines period. ken ct.

3w2    -- 12-14-2018 @ 2:20 PM
  While I agree that in this instance those aren't numbers placed there when the engine was manufactured, one always has to remember the old saying of 'never say never' as I was recently shown a '32 V8 with the full original number stamped on the intake manifold surface matching those on the transmission bell housing and chassis frame, complete with the stars and correct style of numbers. This engine is in a car with only 12,000 miles and it is very likely not a rebuilt replacement as it has standard bore, etc..

42wagon    -- 12-15-2018 @ 3:35 AM
  If the 22 is the first number on the bell housing after a star and the number 18- your engine is not a 38 or 39 as the serial numbers for these would start with a 3 or 4. However 22 could appear somewhere else in the sequence. Top of the bell housing is the only official place the number would be found on an engine leaving the Rouge engine plant. All the numbers that appear on the top of the block would have been put there by an engine re-builder. As for 32? This was the first year, maybe they did things differently at the assembly plants?

trjford8    -- 12-16-2018 @ 8:26 AM
  I agree that the number stamped on the block are numbers from engine rebuilders. Not unusual in those days. I've seen some with a metal tag riveted to the block from old time rebuilders. The number with the star prefix could be a Ford remanufactured motor. Thus the R after the star. The numeral stampings appear to be the same as what Ford used. They used the 6 and turned it upside down for the 9. There's lots we don't know about old Fords and as Dave says "never say never" or use the word "always" with old Fords.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-16-18 @ 8:31 AM

TomO    -- 12-16-2018 @ 8:27 AM
  The serial number is not on the engine bell housing, it is on the transmission bell housing and on the frame.

Ford wanted to be able to use an engine exchange program to fit a factory re-manufactured engine into a car with a worn out engine. This way he could keep his factory people busy and the customer could have one day service when his engine needed an overhaul.

I am curious about why you want the numbers of your engine.

Tom

marcmears    -- 12-19-2018 @ 8:36 AM
  Thanks for all the help most appreciated.
Marc

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12529