Topic: air in fuel line

fordmerc    -- 11-08-2018 @ 12:55 PM
  I have air bubbles in fuel line from fuel pump to carb ! (1939)
This doesn't seem right (?) The bubbles noted at first startup after clear line installation and persisted for 4 min. then I shut car off. I had installed a clear line just to test whether my stalling problem might be fuel pump related. The fuel pump was rebuilt 5 years ago.
What might cause the bubbles?

ken ct.    -- 11-08-2018 @ 1:24 PM
  Where is the clear line you put in there. (pump to carb) ?? ( Main line to pump) ?? Sounds like you have air leaking into the carb. Loose fitting some where in the gas line from tank to carb check all connections from tank to carb. Did you install the mini screw clamps on clear section you added ?? NOT the squeeze um wire type ? ken ct.

fordmerc    -- 11-08-2018 @ 5:23 PM
  Line from pump to carb
No clamps but fit was tight - I will get clamps tomorrow -air seems to come out of pump

ken ct.    -- 11-08-2018 @ 8:20 PM
  Are you sure you used correct carb and FP fittings. Common auto parts store ones are not correct they have pipe thread on them and NO beveld end on them to seal in the units. Correct ones are 1/2 x 20 threadand have a beveled end on them. ken ct. 1-203-260-9780 cell.

ford38v8    -- 11-08-2018 @ 10:23 PM
  Your search for the source of the bubbles should be on the suction side of the fuel pump. No air bubbles will enter a pressurized line, even without clamps as you mentioned.
Start with the pump itself, as the pump gaskets are as notorious as the connections to allow air to enter the system.

Alan

fsacht    -- 11-10-2018 @ 11:02 AM
  If you are using a fuel pump with glass sediment bowl check the bowl cork gasket for a break or misalignment, or even missing, possibly having dropped out while cleaning the glass bowl. I've had all three of those drive me crazy in the past.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12469