Topic: 1940 Hot Water Heater shut Off Valve

1911garford    -- 11-07-2018 @ 12:15 PM
  I have a 1940 Deluxe Coupe with a hot water heater. It is a Dearborn car. The hot water shut off valve on the engine block is frozen open. It is part no.91A-15142. On mine the open/close plug valve is on the side which I believe is original. The reproduction part is readily available from several sources except all of them have the open/close valve on the top, not the side. I can find no sources with the open/close valve on the side. If I replace the valve with the only style I can get, will I lose points at an Early Ford V-8 show? If so, about how many points? Thanks

kubes40    -- 11-07-2018 @ 6:49 PM
  Pretty simple to answer your question about losing points. If it's wrong, then you lose points. It doesn't matter if it's a difficult or nearly impossible part to find or how costly it may be once you do find it. Cars are (supposed) to be judged against what they were as built new.
If I were overseeing the judging on your car, you'd get hit (1) point.

Have you attempted to disassemble your valve, clean up the pieces, reassemble and install? There's not much too them. Also, Larry Caplan at one time had kits for the original valves. If you need a kit, I'd suggest you contact him.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

42wagon    -- 11-08-2018 @ 3:39 AM
  Kubes
As you state the car is supposed to be judged against what it was when built. However in this case we have a heater. We know these were not factory installed but were installed by the dealer. Even though it was a Ford authorized accessory is there some latitude for what the dealer might have used in the way of fittings to install it?
42 Wagon

kubes40    -- 11-08-2018 @ 5:26 AM
  There should be no latitude allowed. The car is to be judged as built AND delivered. However, "delivered" brings up a couple of considerations.
1) anything "added" by the dealer MUST be Ford authorized. A good example of this is a Columbia overdrive. These were NOT authorized by Ford for your 1940 Ford and as such should receive a deduction.
2) dealers made profits from adding various items to the cars when new. Many of these items were not authorized. If as an example you have something on your car that you claim was added (new) by the dealer, the burden of proving that is upon you at the time of judging.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1911garford    -- 11-08-2018 @ 8:01 AM
  Thank you very much, Mike. I will contact Larry Catland. Tom Aylward

mace46    -- 11-18-2018 @ 3:59 PM
  I have a correct 1940 shut off valve which I bought from Larry Caplan about four years ago. I have never used it and would be willing to sell to you for what I paid. Let me know and I can send you photos . Call Charles at 650-520-0520

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12467