Topic: 1935 to 38 Brake linings.

Fordfan1    -- 10-31-2018 @ 10:23 PM
  I have seen 35 to 38 brake lining sets with one molded limning and one woven lining. Which one would be the primary or rear and which one would be the secondary or front.

supereal    -- 11-02-2018 @ 2:18 PM
  The primary short lining faces the front of the vehicle. Woven and molded linings shouldn't be mixed. The woven type were devised to enhance braking action prior to the advent of hydraulic systems. That would be until after '38. Properly installed and adjusted mechanical brakes can be very effective. Old Henry was a fan of "steel to steel" mechanical brakes, and even had his new '39 Ford retrofitted with them.

ford38v8    -- 11-03-2018 @ 12:51 AM
  Ford fan, I personally have never seen shoes or even sets of shoes mixed as you describe. I will agree with Supereal about the woven shoes often being used for mechanical brakes, as they will lock up your brakes quicker than you can holler STOP! I don't use them for that reason; and that they wear out quick; and also because of the effectiveness of Brake Floaters for those years, as floaters utilize the superior design of Bendix Brake adjusters, rather than the Hotchkiss design.

Supereal, Your recollection of Ford quotes is pretty good!
I believe Old Henry's exact quote regarding Ford's mechanical brakes was "The Safety of Steel from Pedal to Wheel", which made for a d*mn good ad campaign, but not good enough to convince the public.

Alan

EDIT: I hate that d*mn profanity spell checker!

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 11-3-18 @ 12:52 AM

supereal    -- 11-06-2018 @ 12:26 PM
  Thanks to my old friend Alan. Many of the books, manuals, etc, in my collection contain "Ford-isms".. They were a feature of most of the "Service Bulletins" issued over the years to act as a replacement for shop manuals. I suspect many were generated to show Henry's struggle to accommodate the changes from the world he knew and the new times that often conflicted with his common sense observations.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12451