Topic: 6 Volt Alternator

OldCoach    -- 10-21-2018 @ 8:52 AM
  I've been considering installing a 53 amp, 6 volt, one wire alternator on my 1950 Ford Custom. My generator doesn't seem to be able to charge my battery properly when I play my radio and use my headlights. My radio is a refurbished, Ford, 6 volt, vacuum tube, AM radio. The needle on my dash ammeter points toward the "D" side when I have my headlights and radio on. That reading happens even when I'm at highway speed. I'm assuming my generator isn't working at capacity. The generator is newly refurbished. Do any of you use a 6 volt alternator?

42guy    -- 10-21-2018 @ 3:34 PM
  I have been using a 6 volt alt. for 15 years. No problems on keeping battery charged.

CharlieStephens    -- 10-21-2018 @ 3:42 PM
  Can you have a good repair shop test the output of your generator? Ideally the one that refurbished you generator, they should fix it. Generators worked fine in the past and it doesn't sound like you added any additional load. Probably a cheaper and better solution than just going to an alternator. If you added your general location someone might be able to suggest a good shop if you don't have one.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-21-18 @ 3:45 PM

SHFTY50    -- 10-21-2018 @ 4:25 PM
  You might want to have the voltage regulator tested/adjusted/replaced.

carcrazy    -- 10-21-2018 @ 4:25 PM
  Provided you can find a competent automotive electrical shop in your area, keeping the standard 6 V generator may be your best bet. Have the shop check out your entire charging system to ensure each of the components is functioning correctly and that all of the electrical connections and ground locations do not have excessive resistance. A good shop will check: your generator to make sure it is putting out the correct voltage, your regulator to make sure it is functioning correctly, and your electrical system to make sure it is free of shorts or excessive resistance. Note that generators don't charge at idle speeds. Your generator should be able to handle the load of your headlights and radio at highway speeds if everything is working properly.

SHFTY50    -- 10-21-2018 @ 4:26 PM

supereal    -- 10-23-2018 @ 2:25 PM
  The main complaint that we receive at our shop is that the engine must be revved to get the alternator to switch on. As to low charging rate, older vehicles don't provide the high rpm to provide the current. If you look at the size of the crank pulley on your newer car compared to the pulley on the alternator, you will understand why. I made a smaller pulley for my 6 volt one wire unit years ago, but it didn't really affect the output. The most successful alternators use a "trigger" circuit connected to the ignition switch to turn on the alternator instead of relying on the residual magnetism.

supereal    -- 10-23-2018 @ 2:27 PM
  The main complaint that we receive at our shop is that the engine must be revved to get the alternator to switch on. As to low charging rate, older vehicles don't provide the high rpm to provide the current. If you look at the size of the crank pulley on your newer car compared to the pulley on the alternator, you will understand why. I made a smaller pulley for my 6 volt one wire unit years ago, but it didn't really affect the output. The most successful alternators use a "trigger" circuit connected to the ignition switch to turn on the alternator instead of relying on the residual magnetism.

42guy    -- 10-23-2018 @ 3:12 PM
  There is an outfit that is in the V-8 Times and they make one that you don't have rev to get it going. I have used one for many years, mainly because a have a electric fan that I use if the summer weather gets too hot and you are starting to overheat. Haven't had to use it much but if needed you need a little more than the generator puts out. Just my opinion.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12422