Topic: Flathead v8 value

Paranyos    -- 10-20-2018 @ 5:01 PM
  Guys, I am looking for opinions on a fair price for a 47 ford flathead v8 engine. A guy I know has a block with heads, flywheel and starter for sale. The engine looks good and is not seized up. What would be a fair price to pay? Thanks for your input! Paul

cliftford    -- 10-20-2018 @ 5:29 PM
  Looking good means very little. Unless you have the history of the engine, an d/or can hear it run it is hard to put a value on it. It would help if you could do a compression testand a vacuum test and oil pressure testi f it is running.

Paranyos    -- 10-20-2018 @ 5:40 PM
  No way to test it. No guarantee, just a nice guy who says it is good.

40cpe    -- 10-20-2018 @ 7:51 PM
  If you can't inspect it, don't pay any more than you can afford to loose. The flatheads are prone to cracks around the valve seats and if left to freeze they will crack around the pan rails and exhaust ports, among other places. They might still run with these conditions but will exhibit bad habits. If the block is good but worn out, it can be rebuilt but parts and machine work is expensive.

Also, you don't mention manifolds, carb, distributor, fuel pump, etc that must be added for a running engine. Add it up

This message was edited by 40cpe on 10-20-18 @ 7:53 PM

1942deluxe    -- 10-21-2018 @ 10:16 AM
  I have a 59 AB (1947) engine that is complete except for the generator and starter.
Turns over easily and was supposed to be from a running vehicle. I paid $500 for
it five years ago. Also have a torn down 59 AB with a block that was supposed to
have been crack checked. Probably would let the whole works go for $500 as we
may be getting ready to move. I'm about 250 miles from you on the eastern end
of the state. In our area you would have a rough time finding a complete engine
that's been stored in a warm dry place for $200. Understand the concerns of
finding cracks, ect. but just giving my opinion.

Paranyos    -- 10-21-2018 @ 5:14 PM
  Thanks for the input! He is asking too much, I am going tp pass.

1934 Ford    -- 10-22-2018 @ 6:33 AM
  Most flathead engines in the $200-$300 range are not worth that.
I always wonder why any good engine was taken out. there is usually a reason. If i was to make one of my V8's in to a street rod, I'd sell the engine before I took it out, allowing the buyer to drive it. That's the
way I bought my spare 21 stud engine.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12421