Topic: 1937 Phaeton sun visors

ravi.avalur    -- 10-17-2018 @ 9:59 PM
  Whilst installing the windshield header dowels, we noticed that there seems to have been something else that was mounted near the side dowels.

In the attached photos, one can see holes drilled in a triangular formation near each of the side dowels.

I would be grateful for advice on what purpose these holes served. Were these for sun visors and, if so, were these sun visors factory fitted ? And would anybody have a good source of NOS or used sun visors and their correct mountings?

trjford8    -- 10-18-2018 @ 9:05 AM
  Yes those holes are for sun visors. I recall that the visors for the open cars were different than the ones for the closed cars. It appears the LeBaron-Bonney may be able to custom make some sun visors for you. Go to ; www.LeBaronBonney.com

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-18-18 @ 9:08 AM

trjford8    -- 10-18-2018 @ 9:08 AM
  Yes those holes are for sun visors. I recall that the visors for the open cars were different than the ones for the closed cars. It appears the LeBaron-Bonney may be able to custom make some sun visors for you. Go to ;www.LeBaronBonney.com

3w2    -- 10-18-2018 @ 5:16 PM
  With respect, while those holes do look like those that would be used for sun visors, Ford did not put them there as '37 open cars (like all those that preceded them) were not originally equipped with sun visors. A definite oversight on Ford's part, in my opinion, but that was the reality. Only the closed cars came equipped with sun visors.

fordv8j    -- 10-18-2018 @ 5:35 PM
  Our 38 conv. coupe don't have sun visors, but needs them, have to wear a cap to drive in the sun

ravi.avalur    -- 10-24-2018 @ 3:58 AM
  Thank you for all your help in figuring this out.

My belief is now that the car did have sun visors installed but these were third party and not official Ford accessories. The 37 Ford Book doesn't seem to have sun visors on any of the open top cars.

Be that as it may, I have written to Le Baron Bonney to see whether they stock period correct sun visors as they would be a very functional accessory under the Indian sun. And could perhaps be detached should I ever bring the car across the ocean and to the Dearborn show.

I am grateful for your insight.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12413