Topic: Rare 40 sedan delivery

shogun1940    -- 10-13-2018 @ 8:07 PM
  I was told that there were two 40 sedan deliveries made that had different shaped back doors. Some one paid125k for one of them. Does anyone know the true story?

kubes40    -- 10-14-2018 @ 10:39 AM
  The true story you ask?

The truth is Ford made one style rear door for their sedan delivery. Period.
Now, did someone pay $125,000 for a '40 sedan delivery? I don't know if that's a true story or not. I can tell you this and I know it is the truth: There are a lot of truly foolish people with obviously too much money. Thus, I suppose the possibility exists that there was someone actually ignorant enough to pay that.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 10-16-2018 @ 12:49 PM
  Just curious what you mean by different shaped back doors. There were some minor differences between the 40-41 rear doors, but the outside shape was the same. Could you be confusing a sedan delivery vs a panel delivery?

shogun1940    -- 10-17-2018 @ 3:35 AM
  The story was told to me last week, and a little vague. Supposedly some collector paid big bucks for certain 40 s.d. Because of the shape of a door or roof line to the door. I will ask for more info. And see if there is any more i can find out. Right now i agree with Kubes.

kubes40    -- 10-17-2018 @ 6:12 AM
  There also was a "certain" 1940 sedan delivery on the cover of a recent V8 Times. While quite certainly it is not the vehicle you heard about, it too was not a vehicle Ford built as was claimed in the accompanying article.

Lord knows that it is always best to do ones "homework" prior to making a costly purchase. From my experience there is perhaps arguably no better example than within the old car market. There seems to be a rather significant number of false claims (most likely a split between innocent ignorance of a vehicle and outright fabrication) within this market.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

woodiewagon46    -- 10-17-2018 @ 2:49 PM
  If you are a member of the V-8 Club, in the latest V-8 Times, there is an article about a 1935 Ford Sedan that had an opening door installed in the rear. It was built for the National Cash Register Co. by the LeBaron Body Co. Perhaps the Sedan Delivery you saw was something like that, BUT, that conversion was done to a Sedan. That being said, why would they change the design of the doors on a Sedan Delivery? Do you have any pictures? If anyone knows anything about '40 Fords, it's Kube.

shogun1940    -- 10-21-2018 @ 10:14 AM
  Well i spoke to another member and he says it was something to do with a spare tire on the side but he could not remember the whole story. This is like when i was young and the rumor of the t -hird or vett with the hunter who died in it and no one could stand the smell so it was real cheap. Probably all fairy tales.

shogun1940    -- 10-21-2018 @ 10:14 AM
  Well i spoke to another member and he says it was something to do with a spare tire on the side but he could not remember the whole story. This is like when i was young and the rumor of the t -hird or vett with the hunter who died in it and no one could stand the smell so it was real cheap. Probably all fairy tales.

trjford8    -- 10-21-2018 @ 2:18 PM
  The panel delivery had the spare on the side, but is a totally different body than the sedan delivery. They look similar but the panel delivery is bigger.

trjford8    -- 10-21-2018 @ 2:19 PM
  The panel delivery had the spare on the side, but is a totally different body than the sedan delivery. They look similar but the panel delivery is bigger.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12407