Topic: Valve Guide Retainer

coupeman    -- 10-03-2018 @ 9:11 PM
  I have a 59AB block with the valve train in place, I compressed the spring with the right tool, but removing the guide retainer with the hook tool has not been successful, what kind of persuading is required to get these things out, also there are adjustable lifters involved, if that makes a difference.

GK1918    -- 10-04-2018 @ 2:09 AM
  Sometimes you have to tap with a small hammer side to side. I always
use a long needle nose pliers. Lifters have nothing to do with the removal just make sure the guide is down far enough...

40 Coupe    -- 10-04-2018 @ 4:10 AM
  The retainers are in a slight recess in the block. The guide has to be lowered slightly for them to come out. So you do not want the spring compressed by tool or the cam. Use a fork, inserted between spring convolutions grab the bottom of both halfs of the guide and force the guide toward the cam about 1/8" and the retainers will come out.

juergen    -- 10-04-2018 @ 4:45 PM
  If you are lucky, this will work. If the guide is stuck hard, it has to be forced down. There is an off set tool which slides down underneath the valve which you can use to hammer the guide down. If you don't have one, the easiest (and most barbaric solution) is to torch off the guide head and use a punch to knock the guide down.

flathead4rd    -- 10-05-2018 @ 12:48 PM
  Instead of trying to remove the retainer clip from the top, you can compress the spring and valve retainer from the bottom and remove the valve keepers. That will let you remove the valve so you can drive the valve guide down. Note: when the keepers fall out make sure they don't fall into one of the holes in the valley.

flathead4rd    -- 10-05-2018 @ 12:48 PM
  Sorry. Double post.

This message was edited by flathead4rd on 10-5-18 @ 12:49 PM

40cpe    -- 10-05-2018 @ 12:59 PM
  He is working on a 59AB which originally had mushroomed stem tips. If it still has that type of valve it won't come up through the lifter. Some prefer to go back with one piece guides and straight stemmed valves. If that is the case, it is easier IMHO to destroy the valves and knock out the guide.

flathead4rd    -- 10-07-2018 @ 8:55 AM
  Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about the mushroom valve stems. Used to working on 8-BA's.

cliftford    -- 10-08-2018 @ 6:33 AM
  Old Henry had lots of good ideas. The mushroom valve stems were not one of them. In spite of the objections of his engineers, he stubbornly insisted on this as long as he was in control of things. He thought it would lessen the need for valve adjustment.

supereal    -- 10-23-2018 @ 2:43 PM
  More often than not, the hole in the valve guide retainer pulls out before the retainer can be removed. Many years ago, when I was a working for a Ford dealer, we used a special tool that had a knurled roller on the end of a long handle that gripped the tab. I still use mine. It is possible there still may be a source such as a Snap On or other dealer.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12381