Topic: ground

gfstew    -- 08-13-2018 @ 5:04 PM
  I have a 1936 ford Flat Head V8 I am going to switch it over to a 12 volt system from a 6 volt system. it is giving me problems with the 6 volt system, How hard is it to switch it over the ground from a positive ground to a negative ground.

kubes40    -- 08-13-2018 @ 5:07 PM
  If are willing to go to the trouble of changing to 12v., why not go to the trouble of fixing what is actually wrong with the 6v. system?
These cars, when properly "built" start hot or cold, each and every time.
Heck, I had my 36 out Saturday in 85f temperatures and it performed flawlessly. Started right up whenever I asked it to.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

gfstew    -- 08-13-2018 @ 6:54 PM
  I live in Las Vegas and for the last month and a half it has been over 100 degrees I needed to get a battery jump twice now and no one has a 6 volt battery out there for a jump that is why after all this no one can Help atarting the car very disappointing when someone can not help you

MG    -- 08-13-2018 @ 7:25 PM
  The procedure to "jump" a 6 volt car with a 12 volt battery is a little different. The 12 volts is applied to the starter motor instead of the 6 volt battery terminals. Procedure as follows:

1. Put car in neutral - very important
2. Turn ignition switch on
3. Apply negative 12 volts (black jumper) to the terminal post on the starter motor
and positive 12 volts (red jumper) to ground. Starter motor will turn over faster
than normal due to the 12 volts but this will not hurt the starter motor. The car
should start right up unless you got other problems.

I suggest that you NOT convert your 6 volt system to 12 volts - you'll be opening up a 'can of worms'. Due as Kube said and "fix" the 6 volt system you have. You'll learn a lot and will come to appreciate the adequacy of the 6 volt system....

TomO    -- 08-14-2018 @ 6:27 AM
  I also recommend that you stay with 6 volts.

You said that you needed a jump to get the car started, but not why you needed the jump.

Was your battery dead when you first tried to start it?

Did you run the battery down trying to start it?

When no one can jump your car, a push start with 2 friends can usually get the car started. Many times when the engine won't start with the starter, a push will start it. Have 2 friends push the car while you sit in the drivers seat with the clutch disengaged, the ignition on and the car in first gear. When the car is rolling, let out the clutch pedal and step on the gas. The car should start.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12241