Topic: 1940 Tudor Door latches

DanS    -- 08-13-2018 @ 10:52 AM
  Hello all, I am new to the Early Ford V-8 Club. I have a 40 Tudor Deluxe and both door latches have quit working. They only work in the lock position to hold the door shut. My question is, is there a repop latch available or are the originals rebuildable? What does everyone do to fix this problem?

1940 Tom    -- 08-13-2018 @ 11:35 AM
  Dan--

Welcome to the Early Ford V8 Club!

Bob Drake Reproductions has door latches shown in their catalog - $159.75 each. Part # 01A-7021812/3. He also has a Parts catalog available on line for 1940 Models only.

If you need contact info for Bob Drake, let me know, or just do a normal search under "Bob Drake".

Good Luck.

Tom

DanS    -- 08-13-2018 @ 7:21 PM
  Thanks for the reply Tom, I have a pair ordered.

DanS    -- 08-23-2018 @ 7:21 PM
  Ok, I have the new latches and they work fine. What is the trick to getting the outside handle to seat properly into the new latch mechanism? Kind of a square peg in a round hole thing. Is there some filing or grinding that has to happen to make things work? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.........Dan

40 Coupe    -- 08-24-2018 @ 5:05 AM
  The door latches failure is most likely due to broken springs. There are several suppliers that sell replacement springs. The outside handle will go in part way then turn the handle, hold the lock bolt slightly depressed, and then insert handle all the way.
There is also a spring on the rod that activates the latch inside the car. This spring holds the inside door handle in the lock position. You may want to make sure this spring is in good condition before replacing the door panel.

DanS    -- 08-24-2018 @ 9:12 AM
  Thanks for the reply. I went out to the garage this morning and bada bing bada boom the handle slid right in. Thanks so much for the how to. Gotta love the internet..........Dan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12239