Topic: oil galley/stuck lifters

MICHV8    -- 08-08-2018 @ 5:35 AM
  I have 3 open valves and removed the intake manifold to check what was going on... the lifters are stuck and I put 50/50 acetone/atf on to see if it helps. There is quite a bit of sludge in the galley. Any hints on cleaning or is it not worth it until the valve problem is solved. The engine starts and runs fairly well...

cliftford    -- 08-08-2018 @ 10:52 AM
  Are you absolutely sure the valves are stuck? It's hard to see how it would run at all with 3 valves stuck open. Especially if one or more is an intake valve.

This message was edited by cliftford on 8-8-18 @ 10:56 AM

carcrazy    -- 08-08-2018 @ 1:07 PM
  Are the lifters stuck or are the valves stuck? If the lifters are stuck, you can use a wooden dowel to tap on them after applying PB Blaster or another penetrating oil and letting it soak into the gaps between the lifters and their bores. More likely the valves are stuck open. If you are unable to free them up after multiple applications of penetrating oil and allowing the engine to run while pouring some Marvel Mystery Oil down through the carburetor, you will have to attack the problem directly.
Cleaning the sludge out of the lifter valley is relatively easy: put on a pair of disposable gloves, scoop out as much of the sludge as you can with your hands, wipe any leftover sludge out with paper towels, and clean off any remaining surface sludge with kerosene and paper towels.

MICHV8    -- 08-12-2018 @ 9:07 AM
  it is the 3 lifters that do not move (passenger side 2, 4 and 5 in from front of galley). Perhaps the valves are stuck as well, but it is the lifters that currently don't move. I'll try carcrazy steps and see what happens

alanwoodieman    -- 08-12-2018 @ 11:38 AM
  worst case is the cam lobes are worn completely off, have seen a few with bad cam lobes. take a wooden dowel and gently knock them down to see if they go down. If they do not go down at all then I would suspect a bad cam. as for it running good--did it back fire thru the exhaust or the intake? stuck valves would cause this. did you take a compression test of the cylinders? take all of the spark plugs out , hold throttle open and see what you get.

alanwoodieman    -- 08-12-2018 @ 11:40 AM
  worst case is the cam lobes are worn completely off, have seen a few with bad cam lobes. take a wooden dowel and gently knock them down to see if they go down. If they do not go down at all then I would suspect a bad cam. as for it running good--did it back fire thru the exhaust or the intake? stuck valves would cause this. did you take a compression test of the cylinders? take all of the spark plugs out , hold throttle open and see what you get.

MICHV8    -- 08-13-2018 @ 5:18 AM
  If I stop the engine when the lifter SHOULD be in the recessed position and then can't loosen it, that would seem to indicate stuck lifters rather than worn cam lobes, right?

Last compression test many months ago was: 1,0; 2,0; 3,0; 4,50; 5,70; 6,55; 7,70; 8,62
Obviously a tired engine, but a good learning experience for me.

Additional galley question...what is the critical sludge area for oil flow?

carcrazy    -- 08-13-2018 @ 1:54 PM
  Cylinders 1,2 & 3 have valves which are stuck open so they have no compression. To repair this situation, you will have to remove the right side (passenger's side) cylinder head to free up the stuck valves and replace any parts as required.

cliftford    -- 08-13-2018 @ 6:08 PM
  It sounds like it needs a rebuild.

MICHV8    -- 08-14-2018 @ 4:29 AM
  could I try heating the lifters with propane (much like rusty bolts) to free them up or would that cause problems?

supereal    -- 08-21-2018 @ 1:15 PM
  Don't use a torch or pound too much, or more damage is likely. The only certain way to clean the oil galleries is to pull and disassemble the engine and soak it in a hot tank, followed by thoroughly rinsing it with high pressure water. Old sludge is almost impossible to remove by any other method. At our shop we hot tank blocks in a strong Zep solution.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12205