Topic: steering effort

Chascwell2    -- 07-15-2018 @ 4:28 PM
  I have a 1940 Mercury four door sedan. The steering effort seems excessive to me. I remember as a kid, we would attach a spinner and drive these cars with one hand. I have done a complete rebuild of the steering gear. The car is equipped with 650X16 Coker Radials. I now have them set at 41 lbs pressure. King pins are lubed, upper steering column bushing is lubed. I have heard of inflating these tires to 45 lbs but I have also heard of stock rims splitting at that pressure. With the steering arm disconnected the wheels turn easily. Any comments, maybe I was stronger when I was a kid in high school. I remember to drive differently without power steering, " Go then turn"

trjford8    -- 07-16-2018 @ 6:37 AM
  You indicate the upper column bushing was lubed. If you still have the stock bushing I would recommend you replace it with the retrofit bearing that is made for the upper column. You can find them on e-Bay. The bearing will make a difference.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 7-16-18 @ 6:37 AM

TomO    -- 07-16-2018 @ 7:19 AM
  When you were a kid, the car had 6.00x16 bias ply tires, inflated to 28 lbs. You have increased the tire contact patch area by going to a larger tire and a radial tire. Your steering is going to be slightly more stiff as a result. Mercury had a larger steering wheel than Ford to make the steering easier than a Ford.

TRJ's comment is very pertinent. If you do not have the bearing in the upper support, I would strongly recommend that you get one.

I think that this is the one that works, if not someone will help out by correcting me.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falcon_mercury_comet/steering-column-upper-bearing-assembly-genuine-ford-comet.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp41-13008-3&sc_intid=41-13008-3&gclid=CjwKCAjwhLHaBRAGEiwAHCgG3vXeZ-ZdiGUK6EhfxV-l23LFuvc80m_7jD6_UNGuvXrqDb_0LoIzzRoCRtIQAvD_BwE

I see little danger in splitting the original Ford wheel for the 1940 Mercury as they are welded wheels. I would be concerned about reducing the contact patch as that will reduce traction and increase braking distance. I do not know the correct tire pressure for your tires, but I doubt that increasing it 4 lbs will have much effect on steering a moving car.

Tom

Chascwell2    -- 07-16-2018 @ 3:05 PM
  I see the bearing listed in the Mac's catalog. I am calling on your experience.
Can the bushing be removed and bearing installed with out removing he steering gear or steering column?

chascwell

40cpe    -- 07-16-2018 @ 5:34 PM
  That looks like a steering bushing instead of a bearing

trjford8    -- 07-16-2018 @ 5:48 PM
  the bearing shown by 40cpe is the Ford retrofit bearing. You must also buy the sleeve and spring to make it complete. The other one is made by Dan Brussgard and is sold by him on e-Bay. It's a lot different then the retro Ford bearing and many V-8ers wear by his set up. I'll see if I can get an e-Bay # for you. Currently I don't see one listed on e-Bay. Possibly someone on here may have a contact # for Brussgard.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 7-16-18 @ 5:55 PM

Kens 36    -- 07-17-2018 @ 7:36 AM
  This bearing was discussed here a few months ago - see this thread https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11765&keywords=Brusegard

As Tom mentioned, I don't see any advertised on eBay right now.

Ken

GK1918    -- 07-19-2018 @ 2:22 AM
  Thats odd only need one hand to steer my 46 Super Deluxe ??

TomO    -- 07-19-2018 @ 6:29 AM
  I forgot to mention in my previous post that the adjustment of the worm and roller in the steering box, may be too tight. People adjust that to remove play in the steering.

Raise the front wheels off of the ground. Disconnect the drag link at the pitman arm and use a spring scale connected to the drag link to try to turn the wheels. The force should not exceed 10lbs.

Next turn the steering wheel from lock to lock to check for binds. If any are found or the effort is excessive, adjust the roller.

Next center the steering wheel and use a spring scale to try to turn the steering wheel by pulling tangent to the wheel rim. The force should be 3 lbs or less. If the force is excessive, adjust the roller.

Tom

hupdoc    -- 07-20-2018 @ 1:56 PM
  I have the bearing and it does make a difference . However I still had hard steering until I checked the toe in -was way out -Adjusted it correctly and steering is now fantastic

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12127