Topic: flywheel

JohnA    -- 07-05-2018 @ 6:12 PM
  last year I pulled my engine,a 239 v8 2dr sedan,since then I have vibration,which I think is caused by the fly wheel having runout,is it easier to pull tranny or pull engine to get at flywheel.Johna
p.s. last post was my rearend was leaking,pulled bottom six bolts,put on sealer and tightened,O.K.now,thanks

cliftford    -- 07-05-2018 @ 7:09 PM
  If you pull the tranny, you will also have to drop the oil pan, unless you have a 2pc. truck pan. it might be easier to pull the engine.

carcrazy    -- 07-05-2018 @ 8:20 PM
  What model year vehicle do you have? If you have a 1949 or newer Ford Passenger Car, you can gain access to the flywheel by simply dropping the transmission and removing the bellhousing.

cliftford    -- 07-05-2018 @ 8:40 PM
  I was assuming you have a pre 1949 model. If not refer to carcrazy's post.

GK1918    -- 07-06-2018 @ 4:15 AM
  I would pull the engine easy part hard part draining antifreeze and making a big mess hood also is tough. I machined a mandrill using a new pilot
bearing then between ball bearing centers on a lathe. Not bad just a couple
grams off. Then put on a new pressure plate and that was a fat 50 grams
off. Using magnets got it nearly to -0-. I then weighed magnets and
welded on washers on the plate. well worth the time spent runs smooth
as a kitten . So now a days you have to check everything . Then punch
mark the flywheel and pressure plate. I don't think you have a run out
problem more like balance like mine had...sam

JohnA    -- 07-06-2018 @ 5:26 AM
  Sorry ,the car is 1948

supereal    -- 07-11-2018 @ 10:50 AM
  Is the vibration constant, or does it vary with engine speed with the clutch pedal down? If you had the pressure plate off when you pulled the engine, did you lock the levers with wedges before reinstallation? Did you tighten the pressure plate to the flywheel by alternating the tightening bolts? It is possible to warp the pressure plate by not following these procedures. Flywheel runout is unusual if it if seated on the crankshaft dowels, and the mating surfaces were clean. Unless the flywheel was resurfaced incorrectly, it is unlikely the balance changed.

FAR32    -- 07-17-2018 @ 3:00 PM
  Take off the fan belt brfore getting to far. Easy and the fan could be the problem

engine    -- 07-18-2018 @ 8:52 PM
  I had the vibration problem also and it turned out to be the flywheel. I got another one and new clutch and had them balanced and the engine now runs smooth.

engine    -- 07-18-2018 @ 8:53 PM
  I had the vibration problem also and it turned out to be the flywheel. I got another one and new clutch and had them balanced and the engine now runs smooth.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12096