Topic: Flathead V8 DRT (dead right there)

JHamill    -- 06-23-2018 @ 6:24 PM
  OK, so I took my '39 Ford out for a short ride and got it gassed up for this week-end. I got home, parked in the driveway and checked the tire pressure. Went to pull the car into the garage and it would not start. The horn and lights work, the battery terminals are clean and the battery is fully charged. It is about a year and a half old. When I try to start it all I get is a clicking sound from the starter. So what gives?

carcrazy    -- 06-23-2018 @ 7:24 PM
  If the car starts OK after it has cooled down, I would suspect that the starter has gone bad and needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

4dFordSC    -- 06-23-2018 @ 8:16 PM
  Sounds like the starter may be hung up on the flywheel. Try rocking the car back and forth with the transmission in high gear. If that doesn't work, hit the starter with a hammer (don't worry, you can't hurt it). If all else fails, remove and reinstall the starter.

cliftford    -- 06-23-2018 @ 8:39 PM
  Like 4dfordsc says, this is very likely the problem, I have never owned or seen a flathead ford that would't hang up now and then.

cliftford    -- 06-23-2018 @ 8:40 PM
  Like 4dfordsc says, this is very likely the problem, I have never owned or seen a flathead ford that would't hang up now and then.

juergen    -- 06-26-2018 @ 5:36 AM
  Possibly the starter solenoid is bad. First jump the solenoid and if you still get nothing the solenoid is suspect. You could also measure the voltage at the starter side of the solenoid when it clicks to see if you have nearly 6 volts (as the internal resistance of the battery coupled with the starter resistance will drop the voltage somewhat).

4dFordSC    -- 06-26-2018 @ 6:51 AM
  Think he fixed it by rocking the car in 3d gear.

TomO    -- 06-26-2018 @ 7:17 AM
  If rocking the car in 3rd gear solved the problem, he should check to make sure that the car has the bracket form the starter bolt to the oil pan.

Tom

4dFordSC    -- 06-26-2018 @ 9:34 AM
  I've had the same problem with mine a couple of times over the years, and it has the bracket:(

TomO    -- 06-27-2018 @ 5:22 PM
  It could be that your ring gear or Bendix drive has excessive wear. If the starter is firmly bolted to the oil pan and the bracket is installed, you should not be having the problem. You can live with the problem if it only happens once in a while.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12048