Topic: Tires for 1938 Ford?

Tim I    -- 05-06-2010 @ 6:46 AM
  I need to replace all four tires and tubes. I'm leaning toward bias ply, for the look and for the original aspect ratio. Is Coker the best bet for tires and tubes?

All opinions appreciated!

Tim
Denver, Colorado

supereal    -- 05-06-2010 @ 7:07 AM
  We have bought several sets of tires from Coker, as good quality bias ply tires have become almost impossible to find anywhere else, particularly in old car sizes. If you want 600-16 tires around here, the only choice is agricultural tires for tractors and hay racks! We have had a problem a couple of times with Coker tires being out of round, making balance impossible. Be sure you have a good understanding of their return policy. Of the last four tubes we bought, only three would hold air. They did replace them, but the wait was an aggravation, given the price. The good thing is that the new bias ply tires are less susceptible to flat spotting.

1940 Tom    -- 05-06-2010 @ 7:14 AM
  Tim--

I had good success with Coker Tire, but of course, they are not the only game in town. Check Hemmings for other tire vendors, or check out their website - coker.com. Their phone # is 1-877-826-6052. If any of the other guys have any suggestions for another vendor - OK with me.
Good Luck
Tom

Kens 36    -- 05-06-2010 @ 7:46 AM
  Tim,

I use Coker Classic 600-16 radials on my '36 Roadster and love the way they handle and ride. The look is very close to the appearance of bias ply tires. They are not as fat as many of the radials.

Ken

nelsb01    -- 05-06-2010 @ 1:33 PM
  Got 600 16's on my 1949 -- and 13,000 miles on the Coker tires and tubes...........
Zero problems after they were balanced and rotated back to front every 5,000 miles.

And they are like they came from the factory -- blackwalls.

ford38v8    -- 05-06-2010 @ 4:11 PM
  Tim, I've used Coker bias tires exclusively. One tire of the last set I installed had a heavy side, so I discovered the light side of the wheel itself, for reinstallation of the tire. It's best to discover heavy sides of all wheels once, and make a mark for future reference. This way, the wheel weights will be of minimum size if the tires are spun around to compensate. This is more important now due to the larger size of the non-lead weights mandated by law today.

For your car, you'll need an adapter to spin balance your wheels. No shop has an adapter to fit the 10" pattern Ford wheel, so one has to be fabricated, or purchased. There is a maker of these adapters that advertises in the V8 times.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1197