Topic: How do I move my 1940 rear end over .

gunner    -- 05-24-2018 @ 1:06 AM
  My 1940 Ford rear end is not centered. The left wheel rubs the fender when going around a curve. I need to move it to the right 1 inch. Do I have to take shims out of the front wishbone before I slide the main spring over?

gunner

42wagon    -- 05-24-2018 @ 3:57 AM
  I am assuming you are talking about a car and not a truck. Therefore I am confused about what you are asking.

You say the rear end which I take to mean the rear axle assembly. If this is the case there is no wishbone, only radius rods that bolt to the torque tube. The spring is centered in the frame by a center bolt with a square head that fits in a square hole in the frame. If properly installed nothing should be too far to the right or left.

If, on the other hand you are talking about the front axle, once again the assembly is centered by the center bolt in the spring. The rear end of the wishbone is in a socket with no shims that I am aware of.

Please explain your problem possibly with pictures.

alanwoodieman    -- 05-24-2018 @ 6:19 AM
  feel in the top of the rear crossmember above the spring and see if you can feel a bolt head. look for the spring center bolt on the bottom of the spring-is it centered between the u-bolts? Are the u-bolts tight? I would guess that the center bolt sheared or broke the head off and the spring moved to one side to cause this shift.

alanwoodieman    -- 05-24-2018 @ 6:19 AM
  feel in the top of the rear crossmember above the spring and see if you can feel a bolt head. look for the spring center bolt on the bottom of the spring-is it centered between the u-bolts? Are the u-bolts tight? I would guess that the center bolt sheared or broke the head off and the spring moved to one side to cause this shift.

wmsteed    -- 05-24-2018 @ 7:25 AM
  I would suspect that the spring center bolt sheared off the head due to lose u-bolts which would allow the spring assembly to shift, and/or the center bolt head was not positioned into the hole in the cross member before the u-bolts were tightened.
Should be a pretty simple fix, don't over engineer the problem.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

gunner    -- 06-11-2018 @ 2:27 AM
  I solved the problem by putting the original 600x16 wheels and tires on it. It did have custom 15 tires on it. Thank You all for the tips.

gunner

woodiewagon46    -- 06-12-2018 @ 8:25 AM
  gunner, you didn't fix your problem. I know you have now installed the original wheels to stop the rubbing but the rear is still off by 1" according to you. Somehow it shifted. I suspect as others have suggested that your "U" bolts are not tight and they allowed your rear to shift and shear off the square center bolt. I would check out the bolts and center bolt before you have other issues.

gunner    -- 06-15-2018 @ 2:26 AM
  Thank You : I will.

gunner

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11954