Topic: Steering Wheel paint

jamesmundstock    -- 05-14-2018 @ 9:08 AM
  I have a 47 Super Delux coupe. Does anyone have the correct color mixture and what type of paint and primer do you use on it? Thanks in advance for the responses.

42wagon    -- 05-14-2018 @ 10:10 AM
  James
If I may make the suggestion, get your hands on the 41-48 Ford book available from the club. It will give you a wealth of information regarding your vehicle.

The answer to your question is found in the book page E-6. The color is light gray and the Early Ford V8 club formula reference is Woody 3K
The Dupont formula is:
801J HS White 133.4 grams
881J HS Yellow Oxide 2.2 grams
805J Jet Black 11.3 grams
884J LS Red Oxide 10.1 grams
150K B/C Balancer 240.3 Grams
175K Binder 84.1 Grams

Not sure about the paint type, probably enamel. The primer is whatever your paint supplier recommends.

len47merc    -- 05-14-2018 @ 10:31 AM
  Do thorough research on this, not only for the color, but for the type of paint (enamel/acrylic/epoxy/etc.), prep and application processes as well. Ask a lot of questions on the latter 3 and get facts not opinions - you'll be glad you did, particularly after you've driven the car for a few thousand miles, the car has experienced multiple swings in ambient temp and the new paint is subsequently still firmly attached and not worn, chipped from wedding bands/other and/or flaking off. I've never tackled this myself but have seen multiple colleagues who paid good money to local shops to have this done and were sorely disappointed with the longer-term results (looked great initially, after a few months of driving not so much).

Great advice from 42wagon on the 41-48 Ford Book - excellent document well worth the investment.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-14-18 @ 10:57 AM

TomO    -- 05-15-2018 @ 6:31 AM
  It is very important to wash the steering wheel with a paint prep degreaser solvent before you do any sanding on the wheel. The plastic absorbs the oil from your hands and to get good adhesion, it must be removed. Sanding can work the oil into the pores of the wheel, so it is good practice to clean before sanding.

Dupont's Prep-Sol is a good degreaser.

Tom

1934 Ford    -- 05-19-2018 @ 6:03 PM
  All my V8's have been early enough to have Black Bakolite steering wheels. I use black acrylic enamel with a satin agent and plenty of hardener after repairing cracks with bondo & fiber glass to take the
flaws an chips out. Very durable and original looking finish that does not come off on my hands.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 5-19-18 @ 6:04 PM

oldford2    -- 05-21-2018 @ 2:37 PM
  Using the Early Ford book, I went to Tower paint and ordered a spray can of Ford interior blue gray paint. Removed the wheel of course, cleaned it good and sprayed it. Great. 8 years and 26,000 miles later and it is just now barely starting to wear off where your hands always hold it. Did not use any primer
http://www.apstowerpaint.com/
John 46 fordor

This message was edited by oldford2 on 5-21-18 @ 2:38 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11918