Topic: Headliner Bows

Lizzj    -- 05-03-2018 @ 4:26 AM
  I have a 1950 Ford Tudor that will need a new, headliner i bought the headliner from Lebaron Bonney and from what I've read the back window needs to come out for the headliner to be properly installed, has anyone NOT removed the back window and installed the headliner with any success, also I will have to come up with a set of headliner bows, does anyone know where i might buy them from or does anyone mfg. this part? or will i be looking for used parts on ebay or such, I know i can bend some wire and make my own, but if they exist I would just assume buy them.
Thanks for any input

trjford8    -- 05-03-2018 @ 7:28 AM
  Run a Want Ad on this site and on the Fordbarn for the bows. They are not reproduced, but can't be hard to find. Specify your body style in the ad. Headliner bows are spring steel so they would not be easy to make.
I would not install a headliner without removing the rear window. The rear window gasket is important to keep the headliner tight and in place. I once installed a headliner (in a Mustang) for a guy who insisted that he did not want to remove the glass. I advised him that I would not guarantee the fit and it would eventually come loose around the window. It looked good for few months , but eventually came loose just as I told him. He wasn't happy, so it had to be done over and this time the correct way.

flathead4rd    -- 05-04-2018 @ 6:50 AM
  Contact Chris at shoebox-central.com he may have some. Each bow is different. I remember when I did my headliner I was told to label each one as to it's position when disassembling. I also recommend removing the rear window to install properly.

Lizzj    -- 05-04-2018 @ 9:45 AM
  yea I figured as much about the rear window, it must come out no two ways about it, I only wish the guy would have come to me earlier when he was thinking about having a new interior put in, and he just had the car painted and the window was out at that time, oh well such as life. So any advice on popping the rear window out and trying to save the brand new window molding. The search is on for the bows I do have the last 2 bows still in the car, and I will try Chris @ the parts store mentioned
Thanks for the input

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11873