Topic: front coil springs removal?? 52 Ford

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-02-2018 @ 5:23 PM
  52 Ford V8. think I need to replace my King Pin(s). have never done this before. no experience on that work (so far!). does the Coil Spring have to be removed? if so, what steps do I take? I have searched all over the internet and not able to find anything on that. I am 77 (so far....) and have worked/played with old cars for years, but never this; and this 52 Ford I just got is nice, except I cannot mosey along faster than 40mph (and it ain't a "T")
any info/opinions/etc would definitely appreciated.
stay safe
thanks
G&U

BUCKAWHO    -- 05-03-2018 @ 4:37 AM
  Hi....I think you need to get your tires balanced by someone that knows what they are doing. I'd also break down the tires to inspect the inside to make sure there is no old puncture "sealant" rolling around in there. 1/16 vertical play in the wheels could just mean that the bearings need tightened a bit. I'd do a lot of checking the front end before considering rebuilding, maybe use a good front end alignment shop. "Do it yourself" has limitations. BT

TomO    -- 05-03-2018 @ 6:49 AM
  It is good practice to not open a new topic every time that you post. You should add on to your original post by using the reply button and only open a new post when the subject has changed.

I will post my answer in your original post so there is some continuity in the problem solving process.

Tom

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-03-2018 @ 7:57 AM
  for senior: you are correct; but I did not know how to do that; will have to check up on that.
stay safe
thanks
G&U

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-03-2018 @ 8:01 AM
  hi buckawho.....thanks....had tire balanced, then also switched tires, same problem. tires look great (better than I do!) with no bumps, bulges, splits, etc., and rim is without curb disasters. the king pin does move when I use my crow bar under the tire raised it up.
because I switched tires around, and still have the problem, I think/thought it would
need the King Pin replaced (hope I am wrong because it looks like a big deal to me).
stay safe
thanks
G&U

cliftford    -- 05-03-2018 @ 11:13 AM
  Describe the symptoms in more detail: shimmies? wanders? or what?

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-04-2018 @ 6:33 AM
  hi. it feels exactly like a tire out of balance; I had a friend drive his 4 wheeler beside my car and check out which wheel was giving me problem(s), he said my RF was bouncing,
did not say wobbling or he might not have thought of that description. that was at 40mph.
below that, okay. (sorta). car does not wander, goes straight, with no desire to change lanes. had that tire balanced; same problem. then I switched my left tire to the RF and the RF to the left; same problem. checked both tires and felt them, along with checking the rims: all okay. jacked the dumb dirtyword wheel up (RF) and was able to witness the King Pin moving when I moved the tire with my Crow Bar. that is why I "assume" that my Pin is bad (hope I am totally wrong on that)......have owned this car just 3 weeks. today I intend on jacking the LF wheel up and checking to see if it has the same movement as does the RF.
I do not know how much (if any) the King Pin will move if checked by using a Crow Bar underneath the tire and raisin it.
I am not sure, that is why I am asking for help! (physical, not mental!)

stay safe
thanks
G&U

carcrazy    -- 05-04-2018 @ 7:55 AM
  The problem may be that the RF shock absorber is totally shot allowing the tire/wheel assembly to bounce up and down.

sarahcecelia    -- 05-05-2018 @ 12:54 PM
  My friend had that problem in the front. I jacked up the front of his car, and one wheel was bent and going in and out a little when I spun it by hand, while it was still on the car.Put the back eon the front and visa versa, no more bounce!Could be your problem too????

Regards, Steve Lee

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-05-2018 @ 3:27 PM
  thanks, will check on that tomorrow.
stay safe
thanks
G&U

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-05-2018 @ 3:30 PM
  hi sarahcecelia: already switched wheels around three times (getting good at that)
and same symptoms......per carcrazy I will check on my dumb dirtyword cotton-picking nose-sucking finger-licking booger-eating shock tomorrow.
stay safe
thanks
G&U

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-05-2018 @ 3:46 PM
  hi carcrazy......shock is recent, altho I did not replace it..i have owned it some 3 weeks or so......but....looking at the King Pin, looking vertical up there is a pivot joint, bushing? that looks TERRIBLE..(even worse than I look).....looks to me like there is lots of room for it to move around.
don't know the name of it, and I hope I am wrong.
stay safe
thanks
G&U

4dFordSC    -- 05-06-2018 @ 4:16 AM
  As a general suggestion, get a copy of the Motors Auto Repair Manual that covers the 1952 models. They're readily available on eBay, e.g., https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-MOTORS-AUTO-REPAIR-Manual-1952-1959-Ford-Willys-Edsel/263612778351?hash=item3d608bc76f

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-07-2018 @ 6:02 AM
  hi. I have bought a 52-54 workshop manual from Amazon. not delivered yet.
stay safe
thanks
G&U

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11871