Topic: '47 Intake & Tank Questions

lance99    -- 04-19-2018 @ 9:31 AM
  A few questions on early 1947 Ford Super Deluxe.

1. See pic of intake manifolds. The one on the left was on the car. The one on the right was in a box of spare parts. Almost the same but the one has a bolt/plug just beneath the carb mount. What’s the diff? Which one more appropriate for my ’47 car? And should the intake be blasted and left bare, or painted? What color was stock?
2. I will install new metal gas tank. Any suggestions for any external treatments before install? Spray on undercoating? The old one lasted 70 yrs (numerous pinholes on top side near front mount) and looks like some sort of undercoat material on top surface. Not sure if stock or added later.

Thank you ,
Lance

Ritzy1    -- 04-21-2018 @ 2:47 AM
  Lance, the one on the left looks to be the correct intake as it's got the vacuum port behind the carb for the distributor advance/wipers. Original color was blue. As far as the tank goes, I'm guessing that how you finish it depends on whether you'll have judges looking it over or not. For mine, that wasn't a concern. I got a tank from Bob Drake and put it in as-is.

Dave

37 Coupe    -- 04-21-2018 @ 5:58 AM
  The one on the left is the type that I have always found on the 1946 Fords I have owned and they were low mileage original cars. The one on the right is what I now have on a 59AB in my 1937 Ford. It was on a low mileage 1947 Mercury before I bought just the engine.I don't know if the additional vacuum port was intended for A Columbia addition or air brakes for a truck as someone told me once but I found it great for eliminating the carb vacuum plate for my Columbia. I would think if it was for a truck it would have different height on the fan mount front. Mayby not original for your car but I consider the additional port ones very practical and not one that I have run across more than a couple times.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11833