Topic: 1936 Phaeton Shock Absorbers

Lobo    -- 03-03-2018 @ 6:32 PM
  I have tube style shock Absorbers are those original? Also can they be replaced with a modern shock?
Any suggestions on beefing up the rear springs to add a little more support to the rear ?

42wagon    -- 03-04-2018 @ 4:17 AM
  You need to give us a little more information.

Tube type shock absorbers are not correct for your car. Given that similar modern tube type shock absorbers could be used to replace them.

Now you say rearsprings. That leads me to believe that your car has been modified since the proper spring arrangement is one transverse spring and a torque tube Ford rear axle.

Maybe a picture would help.

Lobo    -- 03-04-2018 @ 11:39 AM
  Thank you for your response. It looks as though I could just go with a modern day shock as these are retrofitted from the original
I will send a photo of the type of springs front and rear

Lobo    -- 03-04-2018 @ 11:41 AM
  Front leaf springs, rear look exactly like them

Lobo    -- 03-04-2018 @ 11:41 AM
  I will try for a better picture of the rear spring

Lobo    -- 03-04-2018 @ 11:55 AM
  Do the rear spring photos help?

Lobo    -- 03-04-2018 @ 11:57 AM
  Rear spring

kirkstad    -- 03-06-2018 @ 7:57 AM
  I would stick with the modern type shocks if your 36 is a driver, you could take them to a auto parts store perhaps they could match them up if they are bad. I have a 36 coupe with the original lever type shocks that need rebuilding.Very expensive!I wish I knew where to get the adapter kit you have on yours.It looks like they used the original lever shock mounting holes etc.,no welding or drilling,enabling the car to be returned to original at some time if one chooses.

Lobo    -- 03-06-2018 @ 6:05 PM
  I wish I could help you and how those tubes shocks were installed. I recently bought the car and they had been installed years ago. Interestingly though I have gone to two repair shops and neither are willing to replace the shocks as apparently shocks are built for specific cars. I am not sure if these are the right shocks but they look rather Worn so I plan on replacing them. if I hear anything or find anything out I will be sure to pass it on

TomO    -- 03-07-2018 @ 6:52 AM
  You might be able to use the replacement shocks for a 1948 Ford. Most of those older kits were sized to use the 47-48 shock absorbers.

Tom

40 Coupe    -- 03-07-2018 @ 7:14 AM
  below is a comparison between the 35 and slightly larger 36 front shock. The arms are also slightly different to compensate for the longer body of the 36.

40 Coupe    -- 03-07-2018 @ 7:24 AM
  The rear shock arm is the same as the late 35 It slides over the shock main shaft. and clamps onto the shaft with a bolt.

trjford8    -- 03-07-2018 @ 10:00 AM
  Lobo, even though they may look worn, they may be good. Take them off one at a time and check the up and down resistance. If the resistance is good and they show no signs of leakage put them back on. If they have no or little resistance then they should be replaced. Shocks can be sourced in one of two ways. There may be a part # on the existing shock and it must have the brand noted on the shock. Then it can be cross referenced by your local parts store. The second way is the measure the center to center measurements of the extended and compressed length of the shock. Your local parts store, if they are good and willing to spend the time, can match them up by those measurements and type of mounting. A good Napa Auto Parts store or a local independent store can probably do that for you. Going to a big chain store is most likely a waste of time.

Lobo    -- 03-07-2018 @ 10:31 AM
  Thanks guys, i will look into 48 shocks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11714