Topic: T5 Conversion?

ibshane    -- 02-16-2018 @ 11:01 PM
  **1937 Ford Fordor**

I have read several threads on retro-fitting a T5 tranny into an early Ford.
I would love to pick someone's brain that has actually done it!

Also...., what is a good doner vehicle for a modern rear end to put in my '37 Ford Fordor..., preferably one that came with factory disc brakes??

Which type of rear suspention would be better for this rig, leaf springs.., or coilover??

Thanks in advance!!

MG    -- 02-17-2018 @ 12:06 AM
  You've posted many pictures of your '37 on this forum since you acquired it last October. It appears to be a beautiful original car. Why do you want to destroy it by making the modification you're alluding to? Be kind to your car (and to yourself) by keeping it as original as possible. You'll regret making those modifications IMO....

ibshane    -- 02-17-2018 @ 12:31 AM
  I do want to keep the exterior & interior completly stock..., but I would like it to be more roadable.

I am totally up for any suggestions on how I can make the '37 more road friendly & safe without making any perminant alterations!

39 Ken    -- 02-17-2018 @ 5:07 AM
  A fair amount of alteration must be done to the frame to install
a T-5 transmission. To see the process, check out
the many threads on the "Ford Barn". Although expensive,
I would consider a Columbia two speed rear which is
period correct. Also, a Mitch*ll two speed rear is available
for your car. Not period correct but good for cruising.
Ken

TomO    -- 02-17-2018 @ 8:27 AM
  I am in complete agreement with MG. Part of the charm of owning and driving an antique car, is experiencing the challenges that the original owner experienced. These cars were not made to drive all day at current highway speeds and modifications can make them dangerous to drive at any speed.

A Columbia will give the option of driving your car at higher speeds than a stock rear end. a 3.54:1 rear end ratio will allow you to drive 50-55 in the plains states and a 3.78 will perform better in hilly country. The 2 speed axle gives you the best option for both situations.

If I were you, I would drive the car for a year before making any modifications. This will give you the experience needed to decide what is best for you. By then you will know how the brakes work and how the car handles.

Putting disc brakes on the rear wheel and leaving the drum brakes on the front, can make your car very dangerous to drive in emergency situations. The car was designed as all cars are to stop and handle in a brakeing situation with most of the braking power on the front wheels. You could find your self doing a "Rockford" when you have to slam on the brakes.

Tom

JM    -- 02-17-2018 @ 8:52 AM
  I've driven my mostly original 35 fordor sedan with a stock drivetrain all over the USA on just about every type of road imaginable. I don't feel the need for a modern transmission or rearend to make this car more driveable.
What I have done to make this car reliable and road worthy is rebuild the stock engine, transmission, and rear, while changing the rear gear ratio from 4.11 to 3.54 gears. Rebuilt the shocks, changed tires to radials, cleaned and repaired the brakes, and added brake floaters. All of these things plus many other small changes and improvements made this car very drivable.
John

This message was edited by JM on 2-17-18 @ 9:11 AM

ibshane    -- 02-17-2018 @ 10:46 AM
  Thank you all for your input! You have definately given me food for thought on why I sought out, finally found and purchased a very stock '37 Fordor in the first place!

As far as the drive train & suspension..., I guess maybe I am atributing the "Shake, rattle & roll" of this rig to old technology.., when actually things probably just need a combination of tightening up, reconditioning & re-balancing!?

The 221 Flatty & OEM tranny were both rebuilt less than 1k miles ago so I should be good to go there. Maybe I should start with getting the tires balanced and have a close look into the conditon of the rear end? Before I go through the rear end though.., I think I will try and locate a Columbia 2-Speed axle?

How the heck does a guy go about getting these "wide 5" wheels balanced? When I asked my local tire guy he said he had no way of adapting these wheels to his spin balancer!

For braking safety, my plan was to install a Disc brake to OEM spindle conversion in the fromt before doing anything in the rear.
At the very least I am going to convert both front & rear to Bendix style self-energizing brakes.

This message was edited by ibshane on 2-17-18 @ 10:49 AM

MG    -- 02-17-2018 @ 11:05 AM
  Do a search for "Wide 5 Wheel Adapters" for your balancing needs. SPEEDWAY has them > https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wide-5-Wheel-Adapter-5-on-4-1-2-and-5-on-5-Inch,3444.html

fordv8j    -- 02-17-2018 @ 2:41 PM
  All you need to balance your wheels is, take a front hub with the bearings out, balance it first on spin balancer, then bolt your wheels to it (using all5 lugnuts) and balance them, worked for me

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11671