Topic: Tie Rod End Procedure

chask    -- 02-16-2018 @ 11:09 AM
  Hi all,
Getting ready to change the drag link and tie rod ends on my 1937 Pickup. I looked at all the other posts and tested the steering per TomO’s post and looks like the rest of the parts are OK, just loose tie rod ends. I’m looking for opinions on whether to drive the truck up on ramps or jack the truck up and put it on jack stands to allow the wheels to hang when removing the parts. It seems that if the wheels are on the ramps it might be easier to get the alignment close when re-installing the new parts (along with counting the number of turns). Any comments on best way to proceed will be appreciated.

Drbrown    -- 02-16-2018 @ 7:33 PM
  Using ramps makes a good point, especially if you front end recently went through an alignment procedure. Be sure your tires are properly inflated and other components are in good condition. The only thing that MIGHT affect the procedure is that with the longitudinal spring and the front end on ramps, the weight of the car is shifted rearward. Regardless, a post-project shop alignment will catch up with minor discrepancies.

ibshane    -- 02-17-2018 @ 12:28 AM
  I want to keep the exterior & interior completly stock..., but I would like it to be more roadable.

I am totally up for any suggestions on how I can make my '37 more road friendly & safe without making any perminant alterations!

TomO    -- 02-17-2018 @ 8:45 AM
  It doesn't make any difference to alignment if you use ramps or place jack stands under the front axle. I prefer the jack stands from a safety point of view. Counting the turns still gives you the same length of tie rod. Lock the steering wheel and the drag link should be very close to correct. Have the toe in checked afterwards. Find a shop that does trucks as their equipment is more suited to the older cars.

Tom

shogun1940    -- 02-17-2018 @ 7:41 PM
  You can set the toe in by locking the steering wheel straight before you start and then using a tape measure to measure the front to back to get 1/8 inch toe in.

chask    -- 02-18-2018 @ 7:32 AM
  Thanks again for all your help. I now feel better about tackling the steering issue and will get to it when the weather gets better. This forum is a wealth of knowledge for us guys that are not professional mechanics but want to learn about these old cars and trucks.

Thanks,
Charlie

trjford8    -- 02-18-2018 @ 7:37 AM
  No matter how you approach it, set the E-brake, put it in gear, and block the rear tires.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11667