Topic: Brake Locked up?

ibshane    -- 02-11-2018 @ 6:52 PM
  '37 Fordor (Converted to Juice Brakes)

Well I think my right rear brake is locked up?
I had it sitting with the emergency brake on.
It rolled and drove just fine a week or so ago..., but when I went to take her for a spin on this nice sunny day.., she wouldn't budge!

Symptoms: E-brake on, cables tight & both rear wheels locked up tight!
E-brake off, cables slack with left rear free & easy, right rear still locked up tight!

Any easy fixes for this scenario ?

This message was edited by ibshane on 2-11-18 @ 7:21 PM

carcrazy    -- 02-11-2018 @ 11:34 PM
  One thing you can try that may solve your problem is to loosen the brake bleeder screw of the affected brake. One or both of the wheel cylinder pistons may have gotten stuck in the applied position.

TomO    -- 02-12-2018 @ 8:45 AM
  I have had good luck just backing the car up. If it locked up after a sort time, (less than 6 months), I would free it up and then pull the drum to see if the shoes have been contaminated and that is why they are sticking.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-12-2018 @ 2:34 PM
  The parking brake cable from the equalizer to the backing plate may be rusted when it enters the interior. Using some penetrating oil in that area may allow you to free up the cable. Until you get the cable free, it will be nearly impossible to get the drum off until the shoes are retracted. It is a good idea to avoid using the parking brakes unless you always do it in an old vehicle.

ibshane    -- 02-13-2018 @ 1:41 AM
  I am begining to wonder if there is something going on other than the brake being locked up??

Is there something else that could cause my right rear wheel to be locked up. or possibly Seized in place?

The left rear spins freely

ibshane    -- 02-13-2018 @ 8:00 PM
  Got it loose!
I rocked it forward & back several times under power and when I heard a fairly loud "POP"...., it was unstuck!
Just in case I have a VP Rear Hub puller on the way so I can have a look-see!

TomO    -- 02-14-2018 @ 8:39 AM
  Drive the car and see if the brakes operate normally. If the right rear locks up, the shoes are contaminated. If the brakes work normally, drain the differential an feel around the bottom of the banjo for debris.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11653