Topic: How do you identify "original" bumpers?

jretter    -- 01-26-2018 @ 8:16 PM
  I have been looking for a pair of "original" bumpers for a 34 passenger car and have been told they will have a letter (such as a 'C') stamped on the back. Indeed, the two badly pitted ones that came with my car, one a 34, the other a 35, both have a 'C' stamped on the back in the vicinity of one of the inner mounting holes. I have seen a few more since that also have a 'C'. I was also told that it might be some letter other than 'C'. Tomorrow, I am going to look at what is believed to be an original 34 bumper, but it has a letter 'E' stamped on the back, and another 'E' stamped on the front surface around the "corner" where bumper attaches to the outer bumper brace. Can anyone confirm that an "E" was also used on original bumpers and what other letters might be used?

3w2    -- 01-27-2018 @ 7:55 AM
  I'm not familiar with those stamped 'E', but there were bumpers with letters other than 'C'. For example, 'X' is often encountered. But, not all original bumpers had a letter stamped into them. Notwithstanding, an original bumper weighs more than the reproduction. You can readily flex a reproduction bumper by hand, but not at all readily with an original bumper. There are other minor differences as well such as the quality of the bent ends, the definition of the recesses which were painted black on the face of the bumper, and the edges of the bumper, top and bottom, inner and outer are more gradual on an original bumper.

jretter    -- 01-27-2018 @ 10:00 AM
  Very helpful and timely. Thanks for the quick response.

MG    -- 01-27-2018 @ 4:20 PM
  The rear bumper on my unrestored '34 Fordor Sedan has an 'R' stamped on the right-side end where it bends to the mounting bolt. Could this "R" represent 'rear' or 'right' side? I found no markings on the front bumper....

jretter    -- 01-27-2018 @ 6:10 PM
  I looked at the 'E' bumper today, and it is clearly original. Another one he had, also original, had an 'R', and a third original did not appear to have any letters stamped on it, both like your bumpers. Front and rear bumpers are the same. I wonder if we are seeing indications of different vendors or production runs, perhaps. I think the advice from "3w2" is very helpful. The originals are heavier, better made, and a lot stiffer.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11600