Topic: Plumbing oil filter

denofiniquity    -- 01-14-2018 @ 9:54 AM
  have assembled stock 46 V-8 for 41 3/4 ton pu. Have oil filter set up from a 41 or 42 V8 with the lines missing. How are these plumbed? Thanks.
Dennis

TomO    -- 01-15-2018 @ 7:06 AM
  Here are the instructions for late 1940 - 1941 oil filter installation.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-16-2018 @ 1:31 PM
  I didn't see a mention of a restricter fitting in the instructions. It was likely included in the kit. If not, The fitting in the line to return the oil to the pan should soldered shut, and a 1/16 inch hole drilled in the solder. This is a bypass style filter, and if the flow isn't restricted, it will adversely affect the oil pressure to the bearings.

JayChicago    -- 01-20-2018 @ 7:16 PM
  Note the instructions posted above are for 40-41. Its shows the filter return line snaking up to the front of engine where it goes into the engine via a banjo bolt replacing one of the distributor's bolts into the block/sump. Kinda Rube Goldberg-ish. And that line and banjo bolt will be tough to find, is not being reproduced. But you shouldn't need to do that. Your 46 oil pan should have a fitting on it to receive the filter return line, which will make that part of plumbing the filter much easier.

Here is an excerpt from a previous discussion on how to run the oil filter return line. This was posted by Mike Kubarth, the club's adviser on the 1940 model:
"...........All oil pans, 1941 - 1948 had a return fitting integral of the oil pan. 1941 pans had a fitting near the left - front of the pan. 1942 - 48 had the fitting integral of the dip stick tube boss.
If you have the later pan in your '40, I'd suggest you take advantage of that pan fitting."

denofiniquity    -- 01-22-2018 @ 1:43 PM
  Thank you so very much.

kubes40    -- 01-22-2018 @ 2:31 PM
  Be 100% certain you heed Super's advice in regard to restrictive fitting. It MUST be there or you WILL lose oil pressure. Originally it was integral of the pressure side. However, I suppose it really wouldn't matter which side it was placed as long as it is present.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11550