Topic: 1936 transmission main shaft end play

Concept Cars    -- 01-10-2018 @ 2:29 AM
  My 1936 Ford transmission was working well, but it was leaking. I disassembled, cleaned and inspected everything. I replaced all the bearings. I also replaced the idler and sliding gears because they had minor wear, I used identical parts.
I changed the front bearing retainer to a newer one with an oil seal and replaced the rear rubber mount.
During disassembly, I took the synchro apart, cleaned and replaced all the original parts. I did not take the main shaft apart, it appeared perfect and the gear was in excellent shape. After assembly I found that the main shaft had about 1/8” movement back and forth.I put back the original bearing retainer, rear rubber mount and gears, but I still had the end play.
I don’t recall this end play before I took it apart, how much end play is normal?

juergen    -- 01-10-2018 @ 2:25 PM
  It is surprising that Ford did not specify this in their repair manuals. It is as if they thought the U-joint bolt would hold the main shaft in place fore and aft. But I have found 2 rear slingers in some trans (.140) and also .140 spacers only a quarter inch wide after the usual rear slinger. So some old builders thought it was a problem.

Even though there might not be fore and aft movement (if the input shaft is also tight with the front retainer), I think the chance of greater up and down movement under deceleration could be a cause of the trans jumping out of second gear (which is hard to diagnose). With 1/8 of end play, try the second slinger trick and see if you still have some clearance. After all, the cluster limits are .005 to .017

Concept Cars    -- 01-10-2018 @ 5:10 PM
  An excellent suggestion, two rear slingers would take up the slack.
Thank you!

TomO    -- 01-11-2018 @ 6:50 AM
  Give Mac Vanpelt a call, he may have a fix for you.

Tom

40 Coupe    -- 01-12-2018 @ 3:38 AM
  Have you installed the U-joint? Did you use original thick C clips on the front and rear bearings?

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 1-12-18 @ 3:39 AM

lawrie    -- 01-13-2018 @ 2:27 PM
  One thing you must do is check that the front and rerar bearing retainers actually clamp up the bearings,most I do do NOT and require some machining to get this right.
Lawrie

Concept Cars    -- 01-14-2018 @ 7:25 PM
  Simply installing and tightening the u-joint solved the problem, thanks Mac.

Concept Cars    -- 01-14-2018 @ 7:31 PM
  Simply installing and tightening the u-joint solved the problem, thanks Mac.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11538