Topic: Crankcase Ventilation System 1937 V8-85

ibshane    -- 10-26-2017 @ 3:11 AM
  I am trying to learn about my 1937 Deluxe Fordor V8-85
I think I finally found an illistration showing how the crankcase ventilation system works...., but if I'm not mistaken.., the illistration (Link below) shows the air flow going the wrong direction? Am I right..., or does the flatty somehow defy the law of physics?

This message was edited by ibshane on 10-26-17 @ 3:12 AM

Yokomo99    -- 10-26-2017 @ 4:36 AM
  I would have to agree, It looks like someone changed the direction of the arrows. The problem is the diagram shows the gasses being drawn to the air filter, but the air filter at that point does not have any suction. It would be impossible for the flow to go that way.
I was thinking on adding a PCV system to my 53. I was just going to cap off the road tube and add a PCV valve to the plug and pipe it to the intake. The crankcase vapours are over 80% gasoline and it makes more sense to burn it rather than throw the vapours into the atmosphere.

Matt

Be sure to check out my YouTube pages at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MatthewBergin1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJCdOfmXtM8xO9nXeQ-iSQQ

ken ct.    -- 10-26-2017 @ 4:36 AM
  Looks like that system is plumbed for a pcv system. Not stock for a 59AB. ken ct.

ibshane    -- 10-26-2017 @ 4:51 AM
  I'm thinking that this illustration is more like it!

ibshane    -- 10-26-2017 @ 4:53 AM
  And this one looks like it would be right for adding a vacuum line PVC set up.

This message was edited by ibshane on 10-26-17 @ 4:55 AM

ford38v8    -- 10-26-2017 @ 8:29 AM
  Remember back in the day, we were all so negative about PCV valves, thinking they would destroy our engines. Just shows we've always been skeptical about the wisdom of Big Brother.

Alan

wmsteed    -- 10-28-2017 @ 10:23 AM
  The prevailing misconception regarding Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) is one of those Old School thoughts like non-detergent oil, water in the cooling system and no thermostats, to name just a few, that just won't go away.
The theory that "road draft" ventilation would provide adequate ventilation for an engine relied on the movement of the vehicle to provide air flow within the engine. A vehicle that is not moving does not provide air flow, therefore air movement must be supplied via vacuum.
A PCV devise is a very simple item that requires a valve, that should match the CID of the engine it is being used on. The valve must be plumbed into the the intake manifold below the throttle body plate. The PCV also must be readily accessible for servicing. Ergo, concealed up inside the engine is not a good idea. The PCV must be into a vented baffle to prevent oil being drawn into the valve. A fresh air source that allows an unobstructed flow of air into the crankcase, valve covers and lifter chamber of the engine.
All open vents into the crankcase, pan, etc., must be sealed off.
Flat head engines present a real challenge, 59AB and earlier are more difficult compared to the 8BA/8CM, the later being easier due to the location of the engine oil fill tube on the front of the engine. Trying to draw air from a crankcase via the air cleaner is not a good idea because the volume of air is not adequate.
Overhead engines are much easier to adapt to a PCV system.
Some simple facts about a PCV system:
1. the adaption of PCV's in 1963 eliminated 95% of the emissions of the internal combustion engine.
2. An engine equipped with a PCV system will generally require a liener fuel mixture.
3. An engine equipped with a PCV system will run cleaner, minimal sludge will occur, therefore the engine will last longer.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

MG    -- 10-28-2017 @ 11:11 AM
  "1. the adaption of PCV's in 1963 eliminated 95% of the emissions of the internal combustion engine."

95%???! Hard to grasp....

ibshane    -- 10-31-2017 @ 12:09 AM
  Probably eliminated 95% of the Crankcase fumes (blow by)

ibshane    -- 10-31-2017 @ 12:16 AM
  Soooo..., is there any reason I can't run a vacuum line from a Carb. spacer, and somehow adapt it to the oil pan vent with a PCV valve sitting vertically somwhere in between ??

See diagram: My thoughts in green.

Yokomo99    -- 10-31-2017 @ 3:59 AM
  Looks great. I think it will work very well. I am planning the same for my 53 engine as it will be a daily driver. It might be easier to install the PCV valve closer to the top of the engine. I am not familiar with your earlier engine but the road pipe on my 53 comes out under the generator right beside the filler tube. I would just drill a hole large enough for the rubber grommet that is usually in the valve cover and install the valve in it. The road pipe on mine is two piece so I will remove the bottom section and block it there. That way it will be almost invisible.

Matt

Be sure to check out my YouTube pages at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MatthewBergin1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJCdOfmXtM8xO9nXeQ-iSQQ

This message was edited by Yokomo99 on 10-31-17 @ 4:05 AM

wmsteed    -- 11-01-2017 @ 12:24 PM
  From my point of view a hose running from the filtered breather cap on the fuel pump stand to the carb air cleaner is unnecessary, and in fact might cause a reversed air flow.
A spacer under the carb, which would have to be thick enough to accommodate a 3/8" pipe could work for a vacuum source.
The pan breather with a hose running up the engine with a PCV there-in would not be a good idea.
Generally speaking fumes tend to rise, however, that would be within the engine assembly. Gathering and withdrawing fumes that have risen within the engine via the PCV would be much easier.
A second problem would be that as the oily vapor rose in the hose, it would cool and solidify, therefore no longer a vapor.
If there is a pan breather located there in/on, it would require blocking of..
It is true that many overhead valve engines of the late '60's and '70's had a hose plumbed into a valve cover which was ran to a fitting on the air cleaner, however the system had a PCV system from the other valve cover or valley cover.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11319