Topic: zmotor quit

flatfoot    -- 09-19-2017 @ 4:36 PM
  On our way o the Western Meet in Salem, Or. the ole '36 boiled over and quit one block from the top of I-5 At Mount Shasta City, CA. I had a recovery bottle hooked up but the push on cap blew off under the pressure. As soon as I heard and felt the motor start to die and turned it off immediately. Then I could not start it again. Called a tow truck and went back to Redding, CA. However, while waiting for tow (2 hours) we noticed water coming out of the muffler. The oil did not have water in it. And it still does not have water in it. It has 800 miles on rebuild. Was running superb prior to this and never overheated. I retorqued both heads to 45 foot-pounds in the proper sequence. Shall I try to restart and see what happens or is it a blown right side head gasket?

CharlieStephens    -- 09-19-2017 @ 5:38 PM
  I would pull the plugs and crank it over a couple of times by hand. That will tell you if the engine is free. Also if you hit the starter with a cylinder full of water you could bend something. Also with that few miles you should contact the rebuilder before you start tearing it apart (and voiding any warranty, written or implied, that might exist). If when the dust settles it turns out to be the rebuilder's fault and he won't stand behind it you might mention his name (here, on fordbarn.com and on HAMB).

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-19-17 @ 6:32 PM

flatfoot    -- 09-20-2017 @ 8:22 AM
  Thank-you. The motor does turn over. There is no warranty on head gaskets according to Vintage Fabricators, Chico, CA.

trjford8    -- 09-20-2017 @ 8:44 AM
  Are they copper gaskets or the composite gasket? If the shop completely assembled the motor I would think they should have responsibility if they supplied the gaskets.

len47merc    -- 09-20-2017 @ 10:05 AM
  Have to agree with trjford8. Emphatically. If they maintain that position with you, were it me I'd find another builder and take the sunk cost as a lesson learned. Thanks for posting their name here for others to avoid.

Steve

TomO    -- 09-21-2017 @ 7:01 AM
  The fact that you had enough pressure to blow the cap off of the overflow bottle, seems to indicate a blown head gasket. A compression test followed by a leakdown test would prove that the head gasket is blown.

If the rebuilder installed the heads, he should be responsible for a head gasket failure up to the mileage that the motor is warranted. Head gasket failures are usually due to warped heads and he should have surface ground the heads to ensure that they are flat.

Tom

flatfoot    -- 09-23-2017 @ 8:56 AM
  Thank you. The heads were milled and copper gaskets were used. Yes, I am moving on. I still want to try to start the motor. I also discovered a top radiator leak. Man o man what an experience. However, we still had fun at the Western Meet. A big thank-you to the Columbia River Group, great job!!

MG    -- 09-23-2017 @ 9:44 AM
  We're all very interested in what you will find wrong. Be sure to report back here your results....

flatfoot    -- 09-25-2017 @ 12:25 PM
  I will know tonight. I'm running a head gasket test by a good mechanic friend of mine. He has a tester for all that stuff. I will let everyone know the results.

supereal    -- 09-27-2017 @ 2:17 PM
  At our shop we always resurface both the heads and the block. This provides a like-new condition to ensure head gasket sealing. If your find water on any of the spark plugs, it will tell you which side is leaking. I hope you don't have a block crack in or around the leak.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11191