Topic: 36 with hydraulic brakes

zuktom    -- 09-09-2017 @ 6:16 AM
  From sitting about 8 years needed new lines and
master cyl.vw double now have good pedal hard to
push and would not slide a wheel what is the problem.
thanks

wmsteed    -- 09-09-2017 @ 10:16 AM
  After sitting for eight years the wheel cylinders are most likely a frozen up, plus the steel lines are probably contaminated with rust and corrosion.
Time for a complete overhaul of the brake system.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 09-11-2017 @ 2:03 PM
  I agree with Bill. The pistons in the wheel cylinders are made of aluminum, and swell up when left inactive. The master cylinder is also likely damaged, as well. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and readily absorbs moisture. We recommend a full flushing of the system every other year for cars that are lightly driven. Brake fluid (DOT3) is not expensive compared to replacing most of the system. Brakes are too important to not be working well. As you car has been converted from mechanical brakes, you will need to determine what year the cylinders came from before ordering. C&G (800) 266-0470 carries a full line of brake parts.

fordv8j    -- 09-11-2017 @ 5:51 PM
  dot 5 fluid wont absorb moisture and ruin the cylinders, I've used it for years in our 38s with good results

wmsteed    -- 09-13-2017 @ 10:33 AM
  As I recall the Dot 5 brake fluid can only be used in a system that has all new componets,

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 09-13-2017 @ 2:02 PM
  It is highly suggested that the brake system must be flushed with alcohol before switching to DOT5 That said, given the cost of that fluid and the amount needed to purge the air from the system to get an acceptable "pedal", we pick DOT3 and flush the system every couple of years with fresh fluid, as it is virtually impossible to get all the old fluid out to prevent contamination.

ken ct.    -- 09-13-2017 @ 10:29 PM
  Yea and hyd. brakes are supposed to be an upgrade LOL. More upkeep and more expence!! ken ct

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11168