Topic: 1937 Ford 3rd Brush Generator

doning    -- 04-10-2010 @ 4:34 PM
  Hey! Can someone tell me on how to adjust the third brush? I removed the cover, see the third brush and tried to move it with my thumb and it don't move. Is there a screw that needs to be loosened? Move up or down to increase the charge? What's the step by step instructions to polarize or do I need to do it? Thanks.

MTLott    -- 04-11-2010 @ 8:47 AM
  "Third brush" may be misleading ... maybe, if you are counting them in order of their installation. Middle brush might make more sense to some. From the rear of the generator, it's about 9 o'clock and should move with a little help from a non-conducting instrument (if the engine is running.)

Absolute proper adjustment depends on the generator per the Service Bulletins. Output at specified rpm and specific generator are factors.

Further, simply adjusting the brush may not be the answer to any problems you may be having.

Polarizing is a way of "reminding" the generator which end is up. A quick jumper touch from Battery to Armature does the trick ... with the engine not running simply bypass a jumper around the cut-out mounted on top of the generator. One side should be hot coming from the Battery, and the connection on the other side comes from the Armature.

supereal    -- 04-11-2010 @ 10:36 AM
  You can adjust the generator by placing a voltmeter across the battery posts, and set the brush to show just above 7.5 volts at a fast idle. If you drive at night, which most of us don't, adjust with the lights on. Otherwise, leave them off. Most ammeters are like a weathervane. It shows the direction of the flow, but not velocity (current). As for polorizing, it isn't always necessary. If the generator has output, you don't need to do it.

1934 Ford    -- 04-11-2010 @ 1:20 PM
  Without making you an electronic tecnician,
To increase the charging rate, move the third brush (center) in the direction of engine rotation .
To decrease the rate move it the other way.
Watch the amp gauge.
On your 37, move it towards the drivers side of the car. I doesn't take much.
OK Experts, Agree or Not? But that's what I do.

MTLott    -- 04-11-2010 @ 5:53 PM
  Here's something to consider:

http://www.funprojects.com/products/10505v.cfm

A cut-out is never going to be exactly right. A true voltage regulator is what's needed.

doning    -- 04-12-2010 @ 9:11 AM
  Thanks guys!

lightflyer1    -- 04-12-2010 @ 9:10 PM
  Here is mine:

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z73/lightflyer1/1935%20Ford/?action=view¤t=1935Generatorbrush.jpg

Move that center part down to increase and up to decrease.

This message was edited by lightflyer1 on 4-12-10 @ 9:11 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-13-2010 @ 5:22 AM
  about 2 years ago,
I burnt a GENERATOR out on the way back from a cruise night,
I could not find one in my collection of parts, and wanted to drive the car,
I did not want to go the 6 VOLT ALTERNATOR, but thought why not, NEEDED SOMETHING,,,!
I thought I would buy the ALT and use till a I rebuilt a another generator , then take back off the alt, and keep with me when driving the car,just incase,
but I have to tell you . its been on for 2 years,
took about 1/2 hour to install alt and it WORKS GREAT!!!!!!
it BOLTS RIGHT IN ,,,!!!!!!!!!!
you can buy the it complete with adapter for the orginal FORD fan,
I got it from CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC,
well worth the money, and piece of mind,now I can go out and enjoy the car,
remember the generator you have the insides are probably 60 years old, the insulation on the winding and the fields.
I think one of my field coils grounded out and smoked the generator, because the amp meter went nuts,and I started to SMELL the smoke.and knew at that time it was to late to do anything about it , and just kept on driving,
food for thought ,,,and hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-13-10 @ 5:50 AM

40 Coupe    -- 04-13-2010 @ 6:36 AM
  the brush should move with your finger in both directions. try to move it with the engine off and battery disconnected. if it hardly moves or is very difficult to move or moves in one direction only, you will have to remove the rear cover. You will see spring steel fingers that hold the adjustment ring in place, if the edges of the fingers touch the ring it will prevent the ring from moving in one or both directions move the fingers so only the bottom flat surface touch the ring and try the adjustment before reinstalling the rear cover. the brushes can be tied up with thin string so they clear the armature.

doning    -- 04-13-2010 @ 7:08 AM
  Thanks for the tips!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1082