Topic: Gas Tank Sludge Removal

Jim    -- 03-10-2017 @ 3:41 AM
  A friend has a car that has not been started for five years, and has old gas (with ethanol) in the tank. I'm guessing it has probably turned to sludge. Does anyone know of a product or process that can be used to dissolve the old gas so it can be removed/drained? Any ideas would be appreciated. PS. THANKS for the tips on the GPS installation. Decided to go with the lithium ion battery... no need to modify the car and its portable for my other old Fords.

nelsb01    -- 03-10-2017 @ 5:34 AM
  You didn't say what year vehicle, but all the Ford vehicles for our years have a drain plug in the gas tank. While it maybe a challenge to get the plug out, other than dropping the tank, it maybe worth the try.
There are many products out there that you could add to the gas to help it -- SeaFoam comes to mind.
I am sure, others will suggest other products.

len47merc    -- 03-10-2017 @ 5:40 AM
  Jim - is your friend's car an EFV8? If so, remove the fuel gauge sending unit from the tank via the access port in the trunk and inspect the tank itself first. If debris, rust/scale, etc., is clearly evident the tank will need to be pulled and professionally cleaned and sealed regardless of what condition the fuel is in. In this case simply drain the fluid out of the tank, remove the tank and take it to a local shop (usually radiator) that is expert in this service.

If the tank looks relatively clean excluding the dated fuel, and you do not wish to remove the tank to do this, you could still drain the residual fuel, install 2-3 gallons of clean fuel with a high concentration of Sea Foam, allow that to sit for a day or two, drain that and then fill with clean fuel again with a high concentration of Sea Foam and crank it up. I'd definitely install a filter just north of the tank if choosing this option.

Although I have personally seen an EFV8 tank that sat for decades with ~5 gals of fuel in it that upon inspection was found to be relatively clean internally, in excellent condition and the lacquer'd-up fuel was still easily drain-able and left little-to-no residual in the tank, I still removed the tank to facilitate multiple rinsings with clean fuel and took it to have it professionally cleaned and inspected in the end for peace-of-mind/do-it-right-the-first-time.

Although 5 years sounds like a long time, and the fuel will clearly be bad after that amount of time, I have seen cars that have sat that long or longer that still cranked with that fuel, or cranked after adding additional clean fuel with Sea Foam. One that comes to mind is a Willys Jeep found abandoned in the woods for 10+ years that for grins we as teen-agers got running. Tank dip-sticked at 1/4 full of reeking sour'd fuel. Added 3 gallons of fresh and with youthful enthusiam got it cranked and drove it to a gas station where, while filling it, it appeared every dried-out seal on the motor let loose and the engine dumped the full amounts of black-as-tar oils in the crankcase and trans out on the pavement. Proprietor was not happy. Not advise-able, I would not do it again for that age of fuel - for 5 years you may be ok to drain and refill like above and be ok but do ensure a filter is added.

For me, and especially for one of our EFV8's (versus an abandoned Willys Jeep), I'd drain, remove the tank and have it cleaned/inspected.

Btw - you'll be pleased with the battery option. The model that we chose similar to the one I referenced in your other thread has almost 20,000 mAh and is so compact my wife puts it in her small pocketbook when traveling. Keeps both our phones charged and a Garmin running all day/between hotels (if we even choose to use the Garmin).

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-10-17 @ 5:46 AM

supereal    -- 03-16-2017 @ 1:08 PM
  If you get the tank very clean using a solvent or stem. carefully inspect the top of the tank for pinholes. These are the result of road dirt collecting in that area forming rust. They are very likely, and spelled the end of many of the shops that claimed to repair the tanks. Replacement tanks are available for most old Fords. If you are not a purist, consider a plastic tank. I put one in my '47 convertible when I found the original had leaked on top. It bolted in place of the original, and will not rust. Cost was modest, much less than steel units.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10578