Topic: Rustic Brown paint

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-29-2016 @ 7:19 AM
  Hello,
Does anyone know where I can buy some Rustic Brown paint? Spray cans would be ok and easy for me. Things like my rear view mirror are supposed to be that color (I believe).
Thanks,
Gregg

40V8Ranger    -- 11-30-2016 @ 6:00 PM
  Gregg,
Guys in my regional group (#84) recommend Bill Hirsch paints. Apparently they are the most authentic Early v8 match as you can get.

http://www.hirschauto.com

All my best,
Scotty

Scotty

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-30-2016 @ 8:03 PM
  Hi Scotty,
Great, I will check them out. Wasn't getting much traction.
Thanks!
Gregg

40V8Ranger    -- 12-01-2016 @ 8:49 AM
  My pleasure! That's one of the reasons were in this club... To help one another.

Scotty

Larry Lange    -- 12-05-2016 @ 8:53 AM
  Hi, all.
Thanks for the tip about Hirsch and "Rustic Brown."
I followed up and inquired. Bill's response is below. No dice there.
I wonder if "Rustic Brown" was known by any other name at any point. We've all seen the color on stock-restored cars so we know it exists. Any other thoughts out there? LeBaron Bonney?

Larry Lange, PSRG, Seattle

-------------

Sorry Larry- This is an interior color and we never got involved with interior colors.

Thank you-= Bill

In a message dated 12/4/2016 8:25:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, larrylange36@comcast.net writes:

Dear Hirschies: This color was used in late-1930s Ford models. Do you carry it? Or was it also known by another name? It was often used to paint interior parts. Let me know if you have it, prices, and shipping details.
Thank you!
Larry Lange

40V8Ranger    -- 12-05-2016 @ 9:14 AM
  Larry , is this for your '37 Sedan Delivery?

Scotty

trjford8    -- 12-05-2016 @ 12:44 PM
  The dash color of a '40 standard uses Briarwood Brown. Perhaps this is the color you may be looking for?

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-05-2016 @ 2:23 PM
  Hello,
in "The 1937 Ford Book", page A-15, it list some parts that were painted Rustic Brown. The dome light bezel is one of those parts. Also, after page 4-22, a list of original colors is illustrated, Rustic Brown, M-1756, being one of them for interior trim.
I did some Googling and couldn't find anything...
Thanks,
Gregg

Don Rogers    -- 12-05-2016 @ 2:31 PM
  Try The Auto Color Library http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1937-Ford-pg01.jpg

Rustic Brown...Mfg # 93-3826...Ford # M-1756

Larry Lange    -- 12-05-2016 @ 7:22 PM
  Scotty, in my case it's for a 36 Ford cabriolet, which I'm advised used Rustic Brown as an interior color on deluxe models. It's turning to be harder than I thought to duplicate that color. Must be some way.

Don Rogers    -- 12-05-2016 @ 8:49 PM
  Larry, further research on mid to late 36 vehicles indicates that a Russet Brown color was used on steering columns, steering wheels and column locks to harmonize with the new wood grained dashes. The first 1998 printing of The 1935-36 Ford Book improperly called this color Rustic Brown. That error was corrected in the 2004 and 2011 reprintings of the book.

Larry Lange    -- 12-05-2016 @ 9:07 PM
  Don, thanks very much, again. Is Russet Brown available anywhere?
Larry Lange / PSRG, Seattle

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-06-2016 @ 7:41 AM
  In reference to the 37 Rustic Brown, I contacted Vansickle Paints and got the following response.

"From: "Dave VanEck" <Dave.VanEck@vansicklepaint.com>
To: loslucas@q.com
Cc: "Troy VanEck" <Troy.VanEck@vansicklepaint.com>, "Jerry Landell" <Jerry.Landell@vansicklepaint.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:45:59 AM
Subject: RE: New Website Contact Submission

Gregg,

The Ford code you note below is an automotive paint code and we don’t have reference to it unfortunately. We do have a Rustic Brown tractor paint and could send you a color chip sample if you would like to compare.

This is all I could come up with for a 1937 Ford Brown Color;

Sorry we couldn’t be of any more help.

Regards,

Dave"

trjford8    -- 12-06-2016 @ 7:54 AM
  If you have a paint sample(such as the retainer ring for the dome lamp) take it to your local automotive paint store. They have books that contain various shades of specific colors. Look in the browns and I'll bet you will come up with the color you need. Each sample has the new mixing code on the back and they can make it for you in spray cans or in regular quart cans.

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-06-2016 @ 9:12 AM
  Thanks for the tip.
I don't have a part sample but there is a paint color sample in the 37 Ford Book that should get me close. That is the best I can do at this point. Will see what the paint shop says. I plan to get it in aerosol if at all possible.
Gregg

Larry Lange    -- 12-06-2016 @ 3:42 PM
  I hope everyone saw the posts from Don Rogers. He's clarified the name of the color (Russet Brown, not Rustic Brown) and left us some code numbers that could help (posting of 12/5 at 2:31 p.m.) I'm going to work from that. If you have any luck with your own search, let us all know. This thread generated several hundred reads, so there's a great deal of interest; evidently lots of folks are painting their dashboards and steering column drops.
Larry Lange / PSRG

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-06-2016 @ 6:15 PM
  Hi Larry,
Now I am a bit confused...the way I read Don's reply was that the mistake was made for 35-36 year Fords. The 1937 Ford Book (reprint 2009) that I have still shows Rustic Brown. Are you saying the 37 color should be Russet Brown?
Thanks,
Gregg

Don Rogers    -- 12-06-2016 @ 8:29 PM
  Gregg, Rustic Brown is correct for 1937, and Russet Brown is correct for 1936

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-07-2016 @ 7:25 AM
  Thanks Don.
Rustic Brown it is, at least for me! Now I just gotta have some made.
Gregg

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-08-2016 @ 6:07 PM
  For those of you interested in using Rustic Brown paint, thought I would share my experience:

I never did find the M-1756 color code anywhere, nor any information about it. I did go to a local paint shop and asked for their assistance. We ended up poring through their paint catalogs and settled on a brown color: Dupont SpectraMaster YS152. This looked like a very close match to the rustic brown color on the mirror mounting piece I purchased earlier.
I had them mix up a pint and transfer it to aerosol cans (4 of them).

Later at home I experimented on the mirror mount piece. I turned it upside down and masked off the right half it, then sprayed it with the Rustic Brown paint. (I choose to buy acrylic enamel which is a two part system, a based coat and clear coat.

The attached picture shows just the base coat applied. The black line divides two areas, the left area is the new paint, while the right area is the original paint. I personally think this color is an identical match, you all can make your own judgement.

Anyway, I am excited to have a spray paint for the appropriate interior "Rustic Brown" parts.

Thanks,
Gregg

alanwoodieman    -- 12-09-2016 @ 6:07 AM
  If possible, take a small piece with you to the local auto paint store and see if they can scan it for you. if the cannot do this then go to a large hardware/paint store and go thru the color charts for bug bombs. I have also been successful in the Advance auto touch up can spray rack. to me it looks more like winterleaf brown which was used in the interior of 40 station wagons

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-09-2016 @ 6:57 AM
  Thanks Alan,
I googled Winterleaf Brown and found there is a dark and light version, the latter seems to be the one to which you are referring. I say this because the paint code for that is YS151, just one step away from YS152 that I settled on. It looks like we are very close to the original Rustic Brown, close enough for me.

BTW, the Google also turned up a V8 Post back in 2012 with some related researching/info.

gregg

Larry Lange    -- 12-14-2016 @ 9:56 PM
  Everybody: I have attached something that may help with this problem. It's an optional color that, according to my source, matches the interior color for at least a deluxe 36 Ford Cabriolet. My source doesn't want to be identified but he says the color worked great on his 36 Cabriolet. He says he matched it to some original color that was at a location where it didn't fade or get scr*ped away. I've attached the information sheet he sent me. If it doesn't come through or you can't read it, send me a note to larrylange36@comcast.net and I'll attach it to a return email.

Larry Lange / PSRG

oldasi    -- 12-15-2016 @ 3:42 AM
  I recently tired to find interior trim paint for my '46, only need about a 1/2 pint. Have color code and name however it is not available in Canada, still available in the US. I contacted NAPA and their paint division can mix it and even put it in rattle cans, 1, 2 or what ever number you want. I'm just 2 hr drive to Niagara Falls NY and they'll do it while I wait

len47merc    -- 12-15-2016 @ 3:48 AM
  Larry - from personal experience on our website I can tell you that your file name for your attachment is too long meaning it has too many characters and accordingly will not display. I've run into this before with my own attachments and stumbled across the fix which is as I said to reduce the filename length. Strange, weird, unexplainable attribute of our site that I did previously confirm with the site administrator as being an issue to keep in mind when attaching files. Suggest you reduce the file name size to 5-8 characters at most, reattach and we all will be able to view it. Fwiw.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 12-15-16 @ 3:51 AM

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-15-2016 @ 6:56 AM
  Aha! Now I know why I got a "server error" when I tried adding an attachment the other day. This is a huge help for further posts.
Thanks,
Gregg

Larry Lange    -- 12-15-2016 @ 1:57 PM
  Steve, thanks for the advice. I'm not the computer nerd I should be.
I've renamed the file, and I hope it will accessible this time. Let me know if it still doesn't come through, so we can try something else.

Larry Lange / PSRG

len47merc    -- 12-15-2016 @ 8:04 PM
  Hmmm...now I'm stumped. I can't see it still - shows up as 'Server Error 404 File Not Found'. What kind of file is it? .jpg? Notice your filename does not have a file type suffix - perhaps thats it (?). Admin - ?

Steve

len47merc    -- 12-17-2016 @ 5:21 AM
  Winner winner chicken dinner! That must've been it - I can view it now. Hopefully everyone else, especially those needing the color or experienced enough on the years and color to help, can view it as well!

Steve

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-17-2016 @ 9:10 AM
  Yep, I can view it also....well enough to read the "PPG Confidential" statement at the bottom. Don't know if we should keep this info on the forum, but not my call to make.
Thanks for the info though!
Gregg

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 12-29-2016 @ 2:09 PM
  The posting with the Confidential PPG attachment that Larry Lange submitted, has been deleted because of it being property of PPG.

Web Administrator

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-18-2017 @ 9:07 PM
  Hello again,
For those of you interested in 37 interior Rustic Brown paint color, yesterday I ordered some parts from Roy Nacewicz and, as usual, struck up a conversation with him about his 37 Sedan Delivery. I asked him about the inside spare tire cover and Masonite quarter panel colors and he said they where Rustic Brown. This is a huge help for me. Turns out the dome lamp that mounts to the passenger side quarter panel is also Rustic Brown. This has been the latest focus in my restoration, pics are attached.
Thanks,
Gregg

Larry Lange    -- 01-20-2017 @ 12:45 AM
  Gregg, thanks for your latest posting. This may become the most thoroughly-discussed topic in V-8 club website history. I was not, unfortunately, able to open the images attached to your latest message. Can you send them in a different type of file? Evidently our club website is fussy about what kind of attachments we put on it. I've had similar difficulties.

Sorry, and thanks!
Larry Lange / PSRG

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 01-20-2017 @ 5:52 AM
  Larry;
The picture is in power point. It does not open as a pdf or jpg file as a separate screen. It is down loaded.
Check your downloads under your File Explorer. The image maybe there.

Web Administrator

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-20-2017 @ 7:18 AM
  Hi Larry,
Indeed it has been a good discussion. I sure have learned a lot about Rustic Brown paint, and other paint colors for that matter. I am getting an appreciation for why a good restoration takes so long. It has taken many hours to crawl through the details of just the dome lamp!

By the way, I found a PPT to PDF converter (free) online and converted the pptx file to a PDF format. Hopefully this will open up for you. It doesn't have quite the resolution as the original pptx file, but nonetheless, try zooming in on areas of interest and it still shows decent details.

Thanks,
Gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10310