Topic: 6-Cylinder G-Series in 1946 P/U

jal9846    -- 01-10-2014 @ 12:57 PM
  Working on a '46 pickup with 6 cylinder G-Series, and looking for help with a few questions.
Where is correct location for starter solenoid?
- Same location as V8 or not?
What is correct engine color for the G-Series? Does anyone know if paint is readily available?
Are there any other differences in location of parts on cowl/firewall between the V8 and 6 cylinder?
- Patent plate, WH main loom, etc.
I am having to use a V8 cab...and only have a military 6 cylinder big truck as reference..
Thank You

supereal    -- 01-11-2014 @ 12:40 PM
  The G series six was used from 1941-1947, when the H series replaced it in '47. There are substantial differences between them, with parts more readily available for the H. The easiest way to tell them apart is that the G has the distributor mounted on the timing gear cover, like the V8, while the H has the distributor on the side of the block. Your best bet for info is to obtain an appropriate service manual. C&G shows a manual for the 45-47 pickup as item V-24,$30. (800/266-0470). As I recall, the color was M-202 blue, 42-47.
C&G sells both the spray cans, and liquid form. I suggest you ask for their catalog for motor mounts. etc.

396stan    -- 01-24-2014 @ 6:26 AM
  Have been working on my 47 G series since May is all original , my engine color whats left of it looks to be a dark green . The starter solenoid is on the firewall directly behind the carb . S and S Auto in NY had a lot of parts for it and reasonable . Fred at 607-467-2929

jal9846    -- 01-29-2014 @ 11:44 AM
  I sorted out the routing differences between the V8 and 6 Cylinder. If anyone is interested I will explain below:
Choke Throttle: 6 Cylinder uses cable style choke and throttle cable and they exit the cab on the RH side just above the starter solenoid location. The holes in the center upper where the V8 rods would come out should be plugged with steel plugs spot welded in place. Cables for 6 cylinder mount with support brackets to firewall...same brackets as 1942-48 Passenger car.
Starter Solenoid: is mounted in same location on V8 and 6 cylinder. 6 cylinder uses same negative battery cable from solenoid to battery as 1935/36 Ford (~28" long), since the battery for 6 cylinder mounts on LH side near steering column. Starter to solenoid cable is same for both V8 and 6 cylinder. Battery ground to cowl cable is same for V8/6 cylinder...as there is a duplicate ground post welded to cowl on each side.
Accelerator pedal rod mounting location is different from V8....but there is a knockout provided in the firewall for both.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6906