Topic: 35 Pickup Carb adjustment

Bruce Woods    -- 07-23-2013 @ 8:19 AM
  Any tips on adjusting model 97 carb on my 35 Pickup?

TomO    -- 07-23-2013 @ 8:55 AM
  Set the idle to 450-500 RPM and then adjust the idle mixture screws for a smooth idle. If you cannot obtain a smooth idle, you should perform tests to determine the condition of the engine and ignition system.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-23-2013 @ 4:25 PM
  The Stromberg 97 carb was a good unit in its day, but was superseded by a less complex unit after a short time. It was popular with early hot rodders because they easily fit multiple carb intakes. They use a different kind of main jet called an "emulsifier", and require special tools to repair. It was usually easier to replace them with a later carb than to overhaul.

ford38v8    -- 07-23-2013 @ 5:34 PM
  Bob, just a side note on the fit of Strombergs to multiple carb manifolds... The early multi-carb manifolds of course were made for Strombergs because it was what they had to work with, so when the CG appeared in 1938, the Strombergs remained popular because the existing manifolds wouldn't accept multiple CG's unless the front airhorn mounting screw was severely chopped. (You'll see these butchered carbs occasionally at swap meets.) Today of course, new multiple carb manifolds are made to accept either carburetor, but tradition dictates that the Stromberg be used as it was in the old days.

Alan

supereal    -- 07-24-2013 @ 6:49 AM
  Thanks, Alan, for filling in the gaps. My first introduction to the 97 was way back in my stock car racing days. We would sort tthru a bunch of them until we found one that would help us run the best. The unusual configuration of the accelerator pump lever always drew attention, particularly on multiple manifolds as they worked. I should have added in my post that if the truck was to be shown, the proper carb would be required.

40 Coupe    -- 07-26-2013 @ 3:46 AM
  Isn't the original Carb. for 35 pick up a Stromberg 48. The 48 is slightly larger carb than the 97 and has different main jets and power valve sizes. I believe the 48 was carried over to 36 production and by Jan all of the 36 were using the 97.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6339