Topic: Mechanical Temp Gauge for FH V8 ?

ersatz    -- 07-11-2013 @ 2:14 PM
  I have a stock, 6 volt, 1946 Ford 1/2 Ton PU with a flathead V8. I'd like to install a Mechanical Temperature Gauge. How does one do the install with the V8 having separate sending units for each cylinder head? Can you suggest a vendor to purchase the proper gauge? Thanks in advance for your help!

Stroker    -- 07-11-2013 @ 2:27 PM
  In "the day" we ran mechanical temp gauges on our "overworked" flathead powered trucks. Since
the cooling system for the right and left banks are essentially isolated until they reach the radiator, it's desirable to have input from both heads. Our solution was simple; two gages.
We used Stewart Warner's, but I'm sure there are other ones currently available.

supereal    -- 07-11-2013 @ 3:06 PM
  If you want only one gauge, mount the sender in the top radiator tank where the output of the heads is mixed. C&G (800/266-0470) shows a mechanical gauge in their catalog, and most hotrod vendors sell the Stewart-Warner setup. The gauges with senders tend to be pricey, from $150-200. You didn't say why you want a mehanical gauge. The stock gauge with the two senders isn't the most accurate in the world, but unless you have a problem with your truck, or a touch of OCD, it does the job just fine.

fla48    -- 07-12-2013 @ 2:54 PM
  If you are concerned about the accuracy of the original temp gauge, get a heat measuring gun and check the temperature at the outlets on the heads just below where the hoses attach to the water outlets. Measure both sides at the same distance from the outlet. That should let you know what the gauge is reading at normal operating temperatures. I carry a gun with me and periodically check as I have just overhauled my engine. Takes the guesswork out and cheaper than adding another gauge or two.

51f1    -- 07-13-2013 @ 6:51 AM
  To check your coolant temperature, stick a candy thermometer in the radiator fill opening. Compare the temperature on your gauge to the temperature on the thermometer. I would guess that mid-range or slightly higher on the gauge to be about 160 F and full range (hot) would be about 200-212 F.

Richard

ersatz    -- 07-15-2013 @ 4:03 AM
  Oops, I believe I found the problem. My left water pump had a hairline crack at the hose bib. My stock gauge would slowly move up & down. New pump installed and problem seems to be cured. Thanks for your suggestions. I am giving some thought to the sender for the radiator from C & G.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6295