Topic: AMP Gauge bounces WILDLY !

ersatz    -- 12-22-2012 @ 9:24 AM
  My stock - 1946 flathead V8 pickup truck suddenly developed a problem with the AMP gauge bouncing wildly between Discharge & Charge when driving. At around 35 MPH it might subside and mildly fluctuate back & forth at the center, but then continues to bounce from side-to-side. It rarely operates as it should. I have a new voltage regulator. I also have a 40 amp alternator built by Whitney in California which has been functioning just fine for a year now. What is my problem?

This message was edited by ersatz on 12-22-12 @ 9:29 AM

TomO    -- 12-22-2012 @ 12:50 PM
  You might have a grounding problem. Check to make sure that both the regulator and the alternator are grounded to a common ground.

Tom

Oldad    -- 12-22-2012 @ 7:03 PM
  Sounds like you have a circuit that opens and closes intermittently. Don't be misled that the new voltage regulator is operating satisfactorily. I have had bad regulators out of the box. If you have a shop manual for your year/model it may give you a procedure to check the regulator with a voltmeter. Would also check all connections in the circuit. I keep a spare ammeter with wire leads and alligator clips. I doubt your problem is in the ammeter but if you have a spare it would be worth trying. Patience and an organized approach are worthwhile in sorting out intermittent circuits.

supereal    -- 12-23-2012 @ 10:42 AM
  Good suggestions, all. As most non-pro meters can't handle the current load, put a voltmeter on the generator "batt" terminal first, to see if it is fluctuating. Then check the same terminal on the regulator. I'd look for a broken wire, or a loose terminal somewhere in the circuit between the generator and the ammeter, and the ammeter to the battery leg. If you find that the alternator is the culprit. it is likely that one of the diode "trio" has gone short. We often find that a battery cable clamp has become corroded internally from acid intrusion, causing that problem. Finally, be sure that the alternator belt is correct for the pulley, and properly tensioned. Alternators can take up to five HP, and any slipping or belt glazing will interfere with the operation. That may be why the problem seems to dimish as engine speed increases.

ersatz    -- 12-27-2012 @ 12:19 PM
  Electrical stuff frustrates me! I'll have to contact a mechanic I know when he comes home from visiting family for the holidays.

I appreciate ALL the input!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5549