Topic: 12 volt wired 52 PU with 6vt gas sender

johnfitz52    -- 12-13-2012 @ 5:08 PM
  I have lived with a poor seal on my gas tank sender since 1972 when I purchased my 52 pickup truck. I tried all kinds of things to seal the Rub Goldberg setup, but nothing worked. I did not mind it too much as I parked it outside for 39 years, but now I have a garage under the house and it stunk of gas until I got the proper 6-volt sending unit.
Simple swap.
I was told that I will burn it out if I connect it to a 12-volt system. So I have been running without a gas gauge.
What should I use for a voltage reducer and where should it be placed in the wiring?
I would also like to reconnect the Temp and Oil gauges.
Will one reducer service all the gauges? How should they be wired?
By the way I bought it with a small Chevy engine. I wanted to put in a flathead but could not afford a good one and I did not have the knowledge to convert it back to what should it have been. I have replaced the engine a few times, each time with a cheap, bigger, and suppose to be, better one. They never were much better.
Now I have a 350 “grate” that runs great.

trjford8    -- 12-13-2012 @ 8:16 PM
  You can use one reducer for all the gauges. The amp will work on 6 or 12 volts, so does not need a reducer. Check e-Bay as there is a seller on there that sells the reducer for about $25. You can also check with Napa Auto Parts and ask for an IR-1 reducer. It is used on the Ford Mustang(64-68) dash for the gauges and on the 60's-early 70's Ford pickups.

johnfitz52    -- 12-14-2012 @ 4:56 PM
  NAPA does not that number with the tag "reducer" but searching only the number "IR1"

Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator
Part Number: ECH IR1
Product Line: Echlin Ignition Parts
Add to Compare $61.49 /ea

That is a pretty high price!

trjford8    -- 12-14-2012 @ 6:55 PM
  The part number has changed along with the price since the last one that I purchased. I paid $25 for the last one. Check with those that supply Mustang parts to see if they sell it any cheaper.
I would also check e-Bay for the reducer. The reducer is sold by a vendor with the vendor name "vintage planet" and he's located in Alameda, Ca. His price is $25. I have not used his unit but his feedback score is good.

johnfitz52    -- 12-29-2012 @ 1:40 PM
  Thanks for the info. I got 3 12Vt=>6Vt reducing diodes from AutoReWire for $8.50. I tested em, and they worked OK, but the original 6vt fuel gauge showed 1/8 when it was about 7/8. So I used a 12 vt gauge with a switch. I will flip it on for a 1 second look, and hope I don't burn the sender.

I was told someone could restore my 6vt gauges and I could use them with the diodes. Do you know of a good rebuilder?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5521