Topic: newby vacuum question

bkewin    -- 03-07-2012 @ 6:18 AM
  I have never measured vacuum in my life. I have a guage and want to set the idle on a stock 239. I've identified the process and idle adjust screws etc. I'm just danged if I know for sure where to attach this vacuum gauge. I've looked in the shop manual and studied the 48-54 parts manual. Just coming up dry. I've searched this and other forums and apparently ain't asking the right question. I know as soon as I undo anything without asking its going to blow something up.
Appreciate any help you can give me.

Bill

TomO    -- 03-07-2012 @ 8:56 AM
  The windshield wiper port is usually the best place to attach the vacuum gauge. You did not specify the year of your vehicle, so I cannot tell you where the ww connection is.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-07-2012 @ 9:32 AM
  Bill: I agree with Tom. Look for a rubber hose connected to the intake manifold, and after pulling it off, connect your gauge. Turn the idle needles in, one at a time, until the idle speed starts to fall, then back them out to get a smooth idle. Each side of the intake manifold feeds four cylinders. The idle speed is set by the stop screw on the throttle shaft, and should be set to get a good, even idle. I am attaching a vacuum chart to help you use your vacuum gauge. It is an excellent diagnostic tool. Don't be afraid of your car. Learning how to repair and adjust is part of the fun of the hobby.

bkewin    -- 03-07-2012 @ 10:13 AM
  thanks fellows, its 1 1953 and had factory electric wipers wouldn't you know. I can't imagine them doing anything but capping the intake port for ww. I'll check this out today.

Thanks again

So I'm at home now and since I have electric wipers, I've felt all over the intake manifold and can't find a port. I do have a 5/8 hex head plug and a 3/4 hex plug on the back of the riser that the throttle body sits on. Would this be a good place for me to rig a vacuum port for testing? should be straight forward. I did see for sure where one of these bolts is ID'd as a plug.

Bill

This message was edited by bkewin on 3-7-12 @ 3:37 PM

supereal    -- 03-07-2012 @ 3:57 PM
  As long as you tap below the carb, it will be OK. Get a plug and attach a hose barb, or find one already made up. They are available.

bkewin    -- 03-07-2012 @ 4:32 PM
  thanks!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4425